Migrating Mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Exchange Online with AAD Sync RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating 500+ users to Exchange Online.
    We currently have a hybrid environment with 1500 mailboxes already in the cloud. These were migrated ealier, when we were still using FIM  2010 to sync accounts. Now we have AAD Connect configured and we are going to decomission our FIM server.
    My question is, when we used to migrate mailboxes to the cloud, we needed to ensure the FIM syncing was disabled during the migration process. Is this still the case for AAD Connect? and if so, what is the process for doing so?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:12 PM

All replies

• I am in the process of migrating 500+ users to Exchange Online.
    We currently have a hybrid environment with 1500 mailboxes already in the cloud. These were migrated ealier, when we were still using FIM  2010 to sync accounts. Now we have AAD Connect configured and we are going to decomission our FIM server.
    My question is, when we used to migrate mailboxes to the cloud, we needed to ensure the FIM syncing was disabled during the migration process. Is this still the case for AAD Connect? and if so, what is the process for doing so?

No need to disable AADConnect during mailbox moves.

If ever want to disable AADConnect however, you can disable the AD sync service on the AAD Connect server or set it to staging mode or stop the sync itself:

Set-ADSyncScheduler -SyncCycleEnabled $false

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Friday, February 10, 2017 1:55 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy, you don't need to disable AAD Connect.

About the detailed process to move mailboxes between on-premises and Exchange Online organizations in hybrid deployments, I suggest you refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/o365e_hrcmoverequest_fl312271%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Friday, February 10, 2017 1:55 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:01 AM
  • command is Set-ADSyncScheduler -SyncCycleEnabled:$False

Bulls on Parade

Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:13 PM
  • command is Set-ADSyncScheduler -SyncCycleEnabled:$False

Bulls on Parade

oops. Sorry about that. Thanks for catching that!

Blog:    Twitter:   

Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

If the question is answered, please also mark some helpful replies as answers.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:43 AM