XP Pro Active X not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I've got a problem with XP Pro SP3, I've got random problems with this machine, so, I tried to install all updates, I tried to upgrade to Microsoft Update but when the gold banner came down asking about the ActiveX, Internet Explorer crashed. I tried it a few times but wouldnt work, I enabled/dissabled all the add-ons but still nothing, also the user uses a VPN to get into her works email, when she tries she gets a Cisco Router box pop-up and shows the processes of whats happening with the connection, it gets to the active X control and crashes. and she tells me that this box is fairly new, I'm guessing this could be the cause but I'm wary to uninstall it in-case I lose all the settings for the VPN, I'm a bit stumped as nothing is showing up in Eventvwr.

However, when I tried to check to see if the standard Window's Update would work it worked fine. But it didnt ask to install an ActiveX.

On another note is it possible to create custom Event Logs in XP, I can do it in Vista and 7 but cant seem to do it in xp.

Regards

Darren

• Edited by Darren007 Friday, February 11, 2011 10:27 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi guys, sorry its late just thought id let you know it turned out to be a faulty hdd.
    • Marked as answer by Darren007 Friday, April 15, 2011 8:15 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• Friday, February 11, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi fyip, I tried this FixIt but still nothing, any other idea's?
    Friday, February 11, 2011 10:28 PM
  • You can reset Internet Explorer. Internet Options, Advanced, Reset. Or, you can change Active X settings but it is not secure! Security, Custom level, Active X controls and plug-ins. You will see which 2 to change, change one at a time.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Ok cheers I'm going round now I'll try these out, fingers crossed.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Hi guys, sorry its late just thought id let you know it turned out to be a faulty hdd.
    • Marked as answer by Darren007 Friday, April 15, 2011 8:15 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:15 PM