none
WBS combines with task name RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project 2007.  I am statusing a schedule that I did not build.  The WBS automatically populates in the task name field as a prefix to the name of the task.  Even new tasks get the WBS prefix.  I cannot see where there are any code masks of any kind.  I only see one custom field that is unrelated.  So how is it doing this?
    Wes Weston
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Vassily,

There are a few different possibilities. It could be a formula in an extra field that has been customized and renamed as the "Name" field. It could be an event macro that concatenates the name and WBS fields.

To check the first possibility, hover your mouse over the Task Name field and see if shows "name" in parenthesis. If it does not, then you are really looking at a customized field. Go to Tools/Customize/Fields and to see exactly how that field was customized.

To check the second possibility, go to Tools/Macro/Visual Basic Editor. Click on the Project Explorer icon. Expand the VBA Project if it is not already expanded and click on ThisProject(name). If there is an event macro it will show up in the code window.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Try Tools, Options, View tab. Deselect teh Show outline number option. Does that remove the WBS?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, June 24, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Rod,

Well duh! SInce I never use that option I forgot it even exists. Thanks for stepping in and giving what I assume will be the obvious and correct solution to the poster's issue.

John

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:30 PM
  • My pleasure John. I naturally assumed you had a brain freeze on the go!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Yes Rod,  that was it.  I also had forgotten about that option.  Thanks to both of you for your time.

Wes Weston
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:09 AM