none
Project Server 2007 - Is Last modified date reliable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing with an unusual issue with PS 2007 32 bits updated with SP3, Aug 12 CU. I always considered the Last Modified date as the most reliable information available to check schedule updates, but look what I found. 

Due a memory error overflow at the queue in the connection to SQL Server, it stopped to work on day 7 for instance and the farm administrator did not get the problem until day 12. I looked up for all jobs that ended successfuly in this period and the result was none. So all jobs got stuck in the queue in this period.

Looking at the Project Center we have some views that show the Last Modified date in one of the columns and I found many projects with update dates between day 7 and day 12. How do I explain this if the queue was dead?

Users could save and publish the projects using Project Professional but jobs all waited in que queue, including scheduled jobs from the server such as OLAP processing.

Any idea how could this happened?

Thank you.

R. Segawa

PS.: I did not try this in 2010 and 2013.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

• Edited by R.Segawa Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume that a lot of jobs (like save) had been successful between days 7 and 12. You will not see successful jobs after one day, if you did not change default settings for Cleanup Age Limit for Successful Jobs (in hours) in Server Settings - Queue settings.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your answer.

I captured the image below of the queue that covers this period. Although it is in Portuguese, the column "Data de Termino" is the Finish Date and the jobs are ordered by this date and the list shows only the jobs ended with Exit ("Exito" in Portuguese) status. You can see that the jobs that ended in Exit stoped in 11/7 at 16:08 (dd/mm/yyyy notation) when the PS queue stopped to work due a memory overflow and the sucessful jobs restarted only on 11/12 at 15:18 when we restarted the queue.

So there is not any job with Exit status between day 7 and 12 and there are projects with Last Modification ("Ultima Publicaçao" in Portuguese) with date of 11/9 as shown below in the Project Central view ("Central de Projetos" in Portuguese). The Owner column ("Proprietario" in Portuguese) content was deleted in the image.

That is the mistery.

So there is not any log lost or hidden in between.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:58 PM