none
How do I Configure an NLS for a Branch Office? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have DA working well at my head office where the NLS is located.

I have a Branch office connected to the Head office via a Site to Site VPN using a TMG server at both sites. My Branch office also has a DC.

My laptop clients run DA & staff move (with the laptops) between the Head office & the Branch office & require domain resources at both sites.

Recently the Site to Site VPN connection failed which resulted in the laptops in the Branch office loosing connectivity to file shares & printers in the Branch office.

My research has indicated that this occured because the Branch office DA clients couldnt reach the NLS (at the Head Office). Consequently I need to establish an NLS at the Branch office but I am unsure of the best solution.

My NLS at the head office is a VM. Could I just clone this VM & run up an instance of it at the Branch office? Is this viable? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Let see you problem from another point of view. What append when your computers located onyour LAN cannot reach your NLS, where ever it is located. Your DirectAccess enabled computers will try to reach the NLS at startup and each time a change occur at the network level (sitwh to Wifi, plug LAN, DHCP lease renew, ...). If your computer cannot reach your NLS, the firewall profile will be public and NRPT will be enabled. If your client computers already have a domain profile, there is no problem.

Note that your users can use the DirectAccess Connectivity Assistant to sitwh to local name resolution and disable DirectAccess if NLS become unavailable.

So NLS location and number of instances is not a real problem.

Have a nice day.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:13 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:46 AM