none
Why can't I change the password when the username is 5 characters or less on windows 2003 server?

Question

• On Windows server 2003:
    When I change a username to 6 characters long then I can change my password.
    When less than 6 characters, I receive an error:
    The password does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements.
    Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Monday, February 20, 2017 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the Username is part of password which you are specifying. Like when the username is user1 the password should not include the same

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:06 AM
  • If I make the username 6 characters long or more then I can change the

password with no problem.

Monday, February 20, 2017 11:15 AM
  • The username is not part of the password.
    Monday, February 20, 2017 11:15 AM
  • Hi,
    In my experience about this error message, you could have a try to set the minimum password age into 0, then try to change password again and see if it works.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Hi,
    I have disabled Password Complexity by following these instructions:

How to Disable Password Complexity Requirements in Windows Server OS?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-password-complexity-requirements-in-windows-server-2003-and-2008/

I then did:

gpupdate /force

This was done last week. Yesterday I tried to create a username "w" which is 1 character long and then when
    I tried to input the password twice I received the same message:

"Windows cannot set the password for w because:
    "The password does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length,
    password complexity and password history requirements."

This is the message I get when the USERNAME length is between 1 to 5 letters long. When it's 6 letters long
    then I succeed in creating the username.

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Are you sure that the length of username is the only difference while you create AD user account? Did you test with the same password for different length account?

Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Hi,
    Are you sure that the length of username is the only difference while you create AD user account? Did you test with the same password for different length account?

Best regards,
    Wendy

Yes, I tried with same password.
    Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Strange issue, I have never seen this kind of problem before, and no such similar information is found.

What I could suggest is to make sure that the DC and clients are fully patched and no virus is affecting by scanning the system, and check if there is third party application which might be the cause.

In addition, you could open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information regarding this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support

Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, March 06, 2017 1:54 AM
  • > This is the message I get when the USERNAME length is between 1 to 5 letters long. When it's 6 letters long
    > then I succeed in creating the username.

When pw complexity is enabled, Windows checks if the password matches the user name. If the name is too short, it might find a match too easy...

Monday, March 06, 2017 3:34 PM
  • I don't think they'll help if 2003 is EOL.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:56 PM