Activate Completed SR RRS feed

• Question

• I know it is possible for IR to reactivate from Resolved but is it possible to reactivate SR from Completed state? What is the difference from Completed to Closed in SR's?

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Vladimir

The idea behind Completed and Closed status for Service Requests is pretty much the same as for Incidents.

Completed implies that the request is fulfilled from a provider point of view. It is then submitted for final quality control.  I think in most cases this is the job of a Service Desk organization. The Service Desk should check to see whether the user is satisfied with the outcome.

Closed status however indicates that the Service Request is fulfilled from a user perspective. With above definition in mind, where the Service Desk checks back with the user if the request is completed, the user is unable to close or reopen the request. This would be done by the Service Desk.

As Stoyan mentions, there is no OOB solution to reopen Service Requests from portal as user. Keep in mind, that not every request is eligible for reopening. For example, a user should not be able to alter a VM order after delivery (e.g. when he decides to order more memory than initially stated). Also, reopening Service Requests can get pretty tricky when using approval and automation activities. I think this maybe the reason why Microsoft did not implement a corresponding user reopen task for Service Requests.

However if you are searching for a solution to enable users to reopen Service Request from portal, the following post might be a good start:

https://iadwan.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/service-manager-service-request-user-to-re-open-completed-service-request

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Stefan

Blog: http://blog.jhnr.ch | Twitter: @JohnerStefan

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Vladimir,

In regards to the status and accoridng to ITIL/MOF: A work items is "Resolved" when the support analyst considers that the request has been resolved to your or to the user's satisfaction. He or she then changes the status to "Resolved". It has the status "Closed", when the user really confirms that the issue/request has been resolved. After the confirmation the status is changed to "Closed".

you can do this, but not "out-of-the-box". You must use the SMDets. I did a short search and found a nice script, created by a MVP:

SCSM – Set Work Item State / Activity State via PowerShell

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Thank you.

The Resolved state is related to the IR. When the IR is Resolved the end user can reactivate the ticket if the he/she is not satisfied.

SR status is set to Completed when the analyst decides when the SR is Completed. But the end user cannot activate the ticket if he/she is not satisfied (set it back to the Active state). Is that by design or a bug in HTML5 portal? If that is by design what is the difference between Completed and Closed?

Monday, March 7, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Vladimir

The idea behind Completed and Closed status for Service Requests is pretty much the same as for Incidents.

Completed implies that the request is fulfilled from a provider point of view. It is then submitted for final quality control.  I think in most cases this is the job of a Service Desk organization. The Service Desk should check to see whether the user is satisfied with the outcome.

Closed status however indicates that the Service Request is fulfilled from a user perspective. With above definition in mind, where the Service Desk checks back with the user if the request is completed, the user is unable to close or reopen the request. This would be done by the Service Desk.

As Stoyan mentions, there is no OOB solution to reopen Service Requests from portal as user. Keep in mind, that not every request is eligible for reopening. For example, a user should not be able to alter a VM order after delivery (e.g. when he decides to order more memory than initially stated). Also, reopening Service Requests can get pretty tricky when using approval and automation activities. I think this maybe the reason why Microsoft did not implement a corresponding user reopen task for Service Requests.

However if you are searching for a solution to enable users to reopen Service Request from portal, the following post might be a good start:

https://iadwan.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/service-manager-service-request-user-to-re-open-completed-service-request

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Stefan

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

That is what I was looking for as a good explanation of Completed and Closed. 

Provided URL is useful with Orchestrator but unfortunately we are not using Orchestrator :(

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi Vladimir

Glad I could help! If you are not using Orchestrator or SMA you may also implement pretty much the same solution by using Service Manager workflows.

E.g. a workflow which triggers when a new end user comment is added to a Service Request and checks if a given keyword is found in the comment. If yes, change the status of the Service Request to "In Progress". This can easily be done using a PowerShell activity within your workflow.

Another option may be to use a 3rd party portal such as the one from Cireson which allows you to create custom tasks available for users (see https://blog.jhnr.ch/2015/05/13/build-your-own-cancel-incident-task-for-cireson-self-service-portal/ for an example). Unfortunately - as far as I know - the default HTML5 SCSM portal does not (yet) support custom tasks.

However with both options you would have to consider what should happen to activities which may be related to the given Service Request. You may want to change their status too within your workflow/task.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:27 PM