Default Folder View on Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• This may seem an odd request but I keep a fairly large number of odd files and folders on my desktop which, in the case of files, are only temporary until I have used them.
    For example if I do a screen capture (usually only a window or a rectangular area) I save it to the desktop and then open IE8 or Forefox and go to a forum where I can select using the browse function then upload the file.
    In Vista I had it set so the selection screen showed details but on Windows 7 I can't seem to get it to change from icons.
    Is there a way round this without a registry hack to change the global default folder view for all folders
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As your request, I would like to tell you that you can get the list in IE while upload files, when your Desktop Window pops up, your can click the View button in top right corner to change the icons to details. In vista, the View button is in the top left  conner. I upload two screenshot while uploading files in Vista and Windows 7 for you. You can get the difference between them. You can find them in this folder.

I think this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, December 11, 2009 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:58 AM

All replies

• As your request, you can enable the Thumbnail Previews function in Windows 7 Explorer. You can refer to the following methods to reset the settings.

Method 1:
    ------------
    1. Click Start, type sysdm.cpl in the Start search bar and press Enter.
    2. Change to the Advanced tab, Click "Settings.." button under Performance.
    3. Click Custom, then check the box before "Show thumbnails instead of icons", then click OK
    to save the changes.

Method 2:
    ------------
    1. Click Start, type Folder Option in the Start search bar and press Enter.
    2. Select the View tab in the Folder Options window.
    3. Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in the Advanced settings section of the View tab.
    4. Click OK to save the changes.

Now, you should be able to get a thumbnail on your file. 

I hope this can help you.

John
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Unfortunately I don't want thumbnails or icons - just details

Update - in IE8 I get icons but in Firefox I get a list - back to using Firefox then
    Monday, December 7, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

As your request, I would like to tell you that you can get the list in IE while upload files, when your Desktop Window pops up, your can click the View button in top right corner to change the icons to details. In vista, the View button is in the top left  conner. I upload two screenshot while uploading files in Vista and Windows 7 for you. You can get the difference between them. You can find them in this folder.

I think this can help you.

John
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, December 11, 2009 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:58 AM