WSS SharePoint 3.0 - Email Alertrs doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• from unknown reason the email alerting isn't working on my site any more.

I've already searched on different forums, but didn't find anything that could resolve my issue.

here's some information, that I could collect from my SharePoint:

the logs are empty "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS". Are there any other log location on the SharePoint?

via STSADM I can see, that the alerts on my site are turned ON:

STSADM.EXE -o getproperty -url https://mysharepointsite.com -pn job-immediate-alerts
    <Property Exist="Yes" Value="every 5 minutes between 0 and 59" />
    STSADM.EXE -o getproperty -url https://mysharepointsite.com -pn alerts-enabled
    <Property Exist="Yes" Value="yes" />

Also I checked the SharePoint database. In normal case "ACL" und "Event Data" in the table "EventCache" should be NULLed, but my case it is not! and there're no new entries in the "EventLog" table.

Could somebody help me? Any ideas?

Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:14 PM

All replies

• did you check if outgoing email settiings are still in place.

for the ULS logs location...from the central admin > operation diagnostic logs(i believe), you will see the location. check the logs.

also make sure alerts timer job is running on schedule...

any error in browser?

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:28 AM
  • sure, I checked the outgoing email settings.

No errors in browser.

the log location is the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS". but there're not a lot of logs:

"

Timestamp                  Process                                     TID       Area                              Category                          EventID    Level         Message     Correlation
    02/23/2014 11:55:39.98     wsstracing.exe (0x064C)                     0x0240    ULS Logging                       Unified Logging Service           uls1    Monitorable    Tracing Service lost trace events.  Current value 1.    
    02/23/2014 12:10:39.92     wsstracing.exe (0x064C)                     0x0240    ULS Logging                       Unified Logging Service           uls1    Monitorable    Tracing Service lost trace events.  Current value 1.    
    02/23/2014 12:11:39.91     wsstracing.exe (0x064C)                     0x0240    ULS Logging                       Unified Logging Service           uls1    Monitorable    Tracing Service lost trace events.  Current value 5.    
    02/23/2014 12:19:39.88     wsstracing.exe (0x064C)                     0x1250    ULS Logging                       Unified Logging Service           uls1    Monitorable    Tracing Service lost trace events.  Current value 1.    
    "

Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:23 AM
  • Have there been any environment changes at all? Either to the SharePoint ecology or any dependent systems?

I'd also suggest checking to see if you've any automatic updates on your servers turned on.  There might be an errant kb somewhere that's downloaded in the background, which has impacted the environment.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:05 PM
    Answerer
  • The domain controller and the outgoing mail server have been changed.

There are no automatically updates configured on the SharePoint server.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:09 PM
  • then check your SharePoint server register with exchange server, I mean the relay setting for at least your WFEs.

check this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/6f59da48-b3d7-4557-8b6e-86ded3fdd43c/access-requests-not-sending-email?forum=sharepointadmin

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:14 PM
  • I checked Outgoing Email Settings. there's my outgoing server entered in.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?  May be any logs or registry entries? Or any SharePoint troubleshoot tools?

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:07 AM
  • couple of things make sure.

1) Alerts Timer Job running successfully as per schedule.

2) Make Sure Outgoing Email settings properly configured( which you confirmed)

3) Make sure your sharepoint server are registered in Exchange Server relay, you have to check with exchange.

Monday, February 24, 2014 1:26 PM
  • 1) Alerts Timer Job is running

To confirm 2. and 3. I can say:

If I change permissions on some of the SharePoint site, and set "Send Email to the User about new Permissions", then the user get email about new permissions. That means SMTP-Relay works fine!

Even if I set up alerting for some user on the SharePoint, the user gets the fist notification, that the alerting on the particular page has been turned ON.

BUT the user doesn't get any Email-Alerts, if there's any changes made on the SharePoint site, where the user configured for alerting.

I checked the SharePoint database.
    I see the changes in the table "EventCache", but the fields "ACL" und "Event Data" will not NULLed, and there're no new entries in the "EventLog".

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:51 AM