none
DPM/3rd party backup software on same box RRS feed

• Question

•    When planning for offsite D.R., we are wondering if we can run Backup Exec 2010 and DPM 2010 on the same box, because we are using both for backups and would like to use one box for both media servers. 
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This is correct that it is recommended to have DPM as a dedicated server. I have, however, seen both instances of:

DPM and another 3rd party backup solution was on the same box with no issues at all and all seemed to run smoothly.
    AND
    DPM and another 3rd party backup solution on the same box and nothing but issues arise. 

Instead of the question being "Can DPM and another backup solution co-exist on the same machine?"  I think it should be "Should DPM and another backup solution exist on the same machine?" 

Looking at this from a support standpoint, even if things run smoothly for a long time and then you need to call into support for DPM, the suggestion very well may be to stop the 3rd party backup services at a minimum and maybe even remove it completely.  This of course depends on the complications that may arise with the filter drivers, VSS conflicts etc....... too many variables that come into play.  It is for this reason it's suggested to have DPM on a dedicated machine.

Thanks
    Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by LQRYL Friday, July 29, 2011 1:11 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Lqryl,

Microsoft recommends running DPM on a dedicated server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399554.aspx). Now with that out of the way yes you will be able to run Backup Exec and DPM on the same server.

Are you going to use Backup Exec to protect DPM?Here is a link on Backing Up DPM by Using Third-Party Software: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809019.aspx.

DPM does have some nice offsite backup options such as a secondary DPM server or backing up to the cloud or tape. Have you looked at any of these options?

HTH
    My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Hello,

This is correct that it is recommended to have DPM as a dedicated server. I have, however, seen both instances of:

DPM and another 3rd party backup solution was on the same box with no issues at all and all seemed to run smoothly.
    AND
    DPM and another 3rd party backup solution on the same box and nothing but issues arise. 

Instead of the question being "Can DPM and another backup solution co-exist on the same machine?"  I think it should be "Should DPM and another backup solution exist on the same machine?" 

Looking at this from a support standpoint, even if things run smoothly for a long time and then you need to call into support for DPM, the suggestion very well may be to stop the 3rd party backup services at a minimum and maybe even remove it completely.  This of course depends on the complications that may arise with the filter drivers, VSS conflicts etc....... too many variables that come into play.  It is for this reason it's suggested to have DPM on a dedicated machine.

Thanks
    Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by LQRYL Friday, July 29, 2011 1:11 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:24 PM