Shared Mailbox Archive? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to find an explaination for of this for a while - but I haven't had any luck. I'm hoping someone out there will understand what I'm trying to do and how to do it!

My department has a shared mailbox (marketing@company.com). We use this mailbox to save most most of the emails we recieve as a department as a resource. However, it got really full and we were getting all of the threatening emails from the exchange server saying that it was too full and we needed to clean it out.

My initial thought was to create a .pst file and move folders there, but after some quick research, I see that you cannot have multiple users accessing one .pst file (well, one post said you could in Outlook 2010, but no information on how that works...)

I've done some research and it looks like you can archive a shared inbox in Outlook 2010 and anyone with "Full Permission" to the mailbox should have access to the archive.

I tested this with just one folder from the shared inbox, however it just saves it as a .pst file, and of course, no one else can access it.

My question is - how can I create an archive of a shared mailbox that syncs and everyone can access?

Or is there an easy and free workaround to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:56 PM

Answers

• Are you talking about an online archive mailbox like you create and use in Exchange 2010+ or are you talking about an archive that you create from within Outlook?  The auto-archive functionality in Outlook just creates a PST and moves emails to the PST.  The Online Archive mailbox is created on the Exchange server in an Exchange database and lets you move and manage emails in a similiar way to what a PST does, but it doesn't suffer from the same drawbacks.  It is centrally managed by Exchange, visible in OWA, doesn't have the issues with data corruption, can be shared by users, etc...  It does however require an Enterprise CAL and requires your client machine to be online since the data isn't cached in your OST file.

Sam Brown

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:05 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about an online archive mailbox like you create and use in Exchange 2010+ or are you talking about an archive that you create from within Outlook?  The auto-archive functionality in Outlook just creates a PST and moves emails to the PST.  The Online Archive mailbox is created on the Exchange server in an Exchange database and lets you move and manage emails in a similiar way to what a PST does, but it doesn't suffer from the same drawbacks.  It is centrally managed by Exchange, visible in OWA, doesn't have the issues with data corruption, can be shared by users, etc...  It does however require an Enterprise CAL and requires your client machine to be online since the data isn't cached in your OST file.

Sam Brown

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Is there a Technet article or something somewhere that I can refer to as I attempt to do this?  We have a group of users who access a shared mailbox who would like to be able to create a PST file that they want to share.  Like the person who posted this question, I was under the impression that it was not possible because you could not share a PST file.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:00 AM