none
Project Server 2010 Add dummy users RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to get around the following error:

The NT account specified is invalid ?

I would like to create some test users for testing.  Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

You can't create an NT account without creating an AD entry.

You could use Forms Based Authentication against SQL server as you suggest but it would require setting up and configuration. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee922605(v=office.14).aspx

If you were only testing in PWA (ie not using Microsoft Project), then you could create the test users using valid NT accounts.  Then you could use the delegation feature to test what the users can see/do.  Obviously someone might decide that this is bad practice in your organisation, but I've used this method to test permissions and write manuals/process guides from a Team Member perspective.  You do not need to know your delegate's password.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• No, it needs a valid NT account.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for the response!

How do I create an NT account without creating an AD entry?

I see I can create Forms based Authentication using SQL Server.  Does it work with both? As in regular users will go through the Windows Authentication and if the user is not found then prompt for a user ID and password from SQL Server...

David L. Crooks

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Hi David,

You can't create an NT account without creating an AD entry.

You could use Forms Based Authentication against SQL server as you suggest but it would require setting up and configuration. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee922605(v=office.14).aspx

If you were only testing in PWA (ie not using Microsoft Project), then you could create the test users using valid NT accounts.  Then you could use the delegation feature to test what the users can see/do.  Obviously someone might decide that this is bad practice in your organisation, but I've used this method to test permissions and write manuals/process guides from a Team Member perspective.  You do not need to know your delegate's password.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Thanks again for the response!

I think I will look into setting up Project Server to use Multi-Authentication...

David L. Crooks

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:09 PM