locked
SCCM 2012 R2 - SP1 Install Failing - SQL Native Client Access Denied RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good Morning,

    I am trying to update a single site/single box install of SCCM 2012 R2 to SP1. This is hosted on Server 2012 R2 and whenever i try to install i recieve the below errors.

    INFO: Adding site server computer account to securityadmin: sp_addsrvrolemember N'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM', N'securityadmin'  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.410+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    *** sp_addsrvrolemember N'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM', N'securityadmin'  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.410+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    *** [42000][10011][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Access denied.  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.411+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    ERROR: SQL Server error: [42000][10011][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Access denied.  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.411+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    INFO: Executing SQL Server command: <sp_addsrvrolemember N'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM', N'securityadmin'>  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.412+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    ERROR: Failed to execute SQL Server command, error <>  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.412+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>
    ~~===================== Failed Configuration Manager 2012 Server Setup - Upgrade =====================  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><02-12-2016 11:33:55.413+00><thread=3472 (0xD90)>

    I have checked and have DBO/SA access to the Database, PreReqs checked out fine. I have attempted adding the local server to local admin and granting SA access on the DB and that hasn't assisted either.

    Any Ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:50 AM

Answers

  • This issue was unbelievably caused by McAfee AntiVirus blocking the installer. n00b  mistake but got there eventually.
    • Marked as answer by Rainey86 Monday, February 29, 2016 9:32 AM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 9:32 AM

All replies

  • When you say SA, do you mean you have the sysadmin role assigned to the account you are running this from (SA != sysadmin)?

    Also, is the account you are running this from a local admin on the system hosting the SQL instance?

    If the SQL instance is co-located with the site server, are you also elevating when running setup (assuming UAC is enabled)?


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Friday, February 12, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Hi Jason,

    Correct, the local computer account has sysadmin role with DBO on the DB. This is also the case for the account installing.

    Both are also Local Admins.

    The SQL instance is on the same server, UAC was temporarily disabled as I thought it could be this.

    I have just added an exclusion to the AntiVirus as that was blocking a SQL interaction so hoping this is the root cause.

    Friday, February 12, 2016 2:56 PM
  • This issue was unbelievably caused by McAfee AntiVirus blocking the installer. n00b  mistake but got there eventually.
    • Marked as answer by Rainey86 Monday, February 29, 2016 9:32 AM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 9:32 AM
  • "unbelievably "

    Not at all. It's not the first time that overzealous AV products, the one you called out in particular, has caused issues in ConfigMgr. And it won't be the last time.


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Monday, February 29, 2016 2:12 PM