If MBX + HT are on same server (?), you cannot have separate Message Tracking Log settings (?). RRS feed

• Question

• Performing an exercise from the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for Exchange 2010 (70-662), I was supposed to set different message tracking log parameters for the Hub Transport Server and the Mailbox Server.

It looks like that is not possible (because MB and HT are on the same server???).

When I change settings for the HT, those become the settings for the MB as well (and vice versa). Here's the transcript:

[PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | fl *messagetracking*

MessageTrackingLogEnabled               : True
    MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                : 30.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize      : 1000 MB (1,048,576,000 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize           : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)
    [...]

[PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | Set-TransportServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize 25MB
    [PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | Set-TransportServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxAge 45.00:00:00
    [PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | Set-TransportServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize 350MB

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                : 45.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize      : 350 MB (367,001,600 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize           : 25 MB (26,214,400 bytes)
    [...]

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 | fl *messagetracking*

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                : 45.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize      : 350 MB (367,001,600 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize           : 25 MB (26,214,400 bytes)

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 | Set-MailboxServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize 35MB
    [PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 | Set-MailboxServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxAge 40.00:00:00
    [PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 | Set-MailboxServer -MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize 400MB

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 | fl *messagetracking*

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                : 40.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize      : 400 MB (419,430,400 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize           : 35 MB (36,700,160 bytes)
    [...]

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge                : 40.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize      : 400 MB (419,430,400 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize           : 35 MB (36,700,160 bytes)
    [...]

[PS] C:\>

[PS] C:\>Set-TransportServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize 25MB
    [PS] C:\>Set-TransportServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxAge 45.00:00:00
    [PS] C:\>Set-TransportServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize 350MB

[PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | fl *messagetrackinglogmax*

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge           : 45.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize : 350 MB (367,001,600 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize      : 25 MB (26,214,400 bytes)

[PS] C:\>Set-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize 35MB
    [PS] C:\>Set-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxAge 40.00:00:00
    [PS] C:\>Set-MailboxServer VAN-EX1 -MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize 400MB
    [PS] C:\>Get-TransportServer VAN-EX1 | fl *messagetrackinglogmax*

MessageTrackingLogMaxAge           : 40.00:00:00
    MessageTrackingLogMaxDirectorySize : 400 MB (419,430,400 bytes)
    MessageTrackingLogMaxFileSize      : 35 MB (36,700,160 bytes)

Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I reproduce the commands on my lab and I can the same result. The Message Tracking Log settings are the same when configuring via Set-TransportServer or Set-MailboxServer.

After researching, I would like to answer you that the symptom is normal. If you’ve elected to have the Mailbox and Hub Transport server roles combined onto a single server, you can use either cmdlet to configure Message Tracking Log settings.

Thanks.

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:55 AM

All replies

• It shouldn't be, i did this with one client and it was fine. I haven't got any issue or concern from the client yet.
    Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:24 AM
  • I wonder if someone could post a EMS transcript that show separate settings for HT and MB on a single Exchange server that (logically) has both HT and MB roles installed?

My transcript (above) leads me to believe you cannot have separate settings.

If I'm doing something wrong, it should be visible in the output above.

Once again: single Exchange 2010 SP1 server, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise (eval. version).

Monday, June 13, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

I reproduce the commands on my lab and I can the same result. The Message Tracking Log settings are the same when configuring via Set-TransportServer or Set-MailboxServer.

After researching, I would like to answer you that the symptom is normal. If you’ve elected to have the Mailbox and Hub Transport server roles combined onto a single server, you can use either cmdlet to configure Message Tracking Log settings.

Thanks.

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:55 AM