none
Windows 10 1903 remote-app repeating keystrokes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

All our win 10 1903 clients, immediately after been updated from 1803 to 1903 start repeating keystrokes in remote apps. Servers are 2012 R2. RemoteFX cannot be disabled on session hosts servers since that solution causes problems to some of the apps running. Any one facing the same problem ? Any solution?

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:47 PM

All replies

• hi,
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2 " start repeating keystrokes in remote apps. "
      do you mean if you open remote app(word)which is published on RDweb ,alphabet is automatically typed?
    3 Please check the symptom in a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) environment if it is possible. Ensure the latest update has been installed to avoid known issue
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

Version is 1903 Build 18362.145 ( at the time of post). All systems updated to date.

Clean, bare installation tried with exact same symptoms.

No, nothing is automatically typed. If i open word say, published as remote-app and start tying lets say "1234"

it will result to "112344" and so on. Some characters are typed twice.

Since remote-app is used mostly to publish our ERP application to employees, , this creates a huge potential for mistakes in bills and invoices

Friday, June 7, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

1. Does the issue occur if you connect using a full desktop session instead of launching via RemoteApp session?

2. Have you tested with a completely different make/model client PC?  If there are any hardware devices that all of the client PCs have in common please test without them being attached to see if it makes a difference.  For example, if the clients have the same check reader, printer, headset, smartcard reader, etc. attached unplug it, restart PC, and test.

-TP

Friday, June 7, 2019 4:25 PM
  • HI, 

1. Occurs only on RemoteApp sessions.

2. Different mix of clients PC's, no peripherals other than key/mouse is permitted.

3. Copying the older versions of MSTSC.exea and MSTSCAX.dll from a windows 1703 installation, to the 1903 clients, solves the problem. ( same procedure when 1803 broke the context menus). This however is not a proper solution.

Saturday, June 8, 2019 8:04 AM
  • hi,
    Thanks for your reply . I am glad to hear that you solve your issue .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:22 AM
  • But the problem is still not solved!

• Windows 10 1903 Ent (18362.267 - latest update on july 30 2019)
    • RemoteApp from WinSrv2012R2 (all updates on june 01 2019)
    • RemoteApp from WinSrv2016 (14393.3085)

This build of 1903 installed on 3 different PC (domain and non-domain). Earlier on this PCs was 1809 and there were not problems with RemoteApp.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Yes problem is still unsolved.
    Monday, August 5, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Microsooooooft! The problem is still here.
    Friday, August 30, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Try to use GPO or local group policy to force use of XDDM rather than WDDM for the remote desktop host. Its under Computer Configuration à  Administrative Templates à Windows Components à Remote Desktop Services à Remote Desktop Session Host -> Remote Session Environment à “Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections” set to DISABLED.

Please let me know if it fixes the problem for you

Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:36 PM
  • WOW, I thought we are the only ones with this problem! Similiar situation but we are running Server 2012 (not R2) as Session host. We updatet our clients from 1703 to 1903 so I'm not sure with whih version this problem was introduced but I guess 1903. 

Keystrokes and clicks get randomly transmitted twice.

You still have this problem right?

• Edited by SysAdmin1900 Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:33 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:20 PM
  • Try to use GPO or local group policy to force use of XDDM rather than WDDM for the remote desktop host. Its under Computer Configuration à  Administrative Templates à Windows Components à Remote Desktop Services à Remote Desktop Session Host -> Remote Session Environment à “Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections” set to DISABLED.

Please let me know if it fixes the problem for you

This policy doesnt even exist on my Server 2012 (not R2). 
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Today I noticed the problem doesnt occur when I connect via VPN to the Remotedesktop server. 

Maybe because the connection is a lot slower than on the local network?

Friday, September 27, 2019 2:03 PM
  • This is closer to the answer I have found overall for many inconsistent behaviours from RDS.  I am currently testing a theory and pattern I have seen with many posts like this one with some users at moment.

I will post again very soon with what I have found in the outcome.  So far, two users have now seen the sessions stable and lightening/supersonic with loading time response. I am surprised Microsoft have not pointed the setup requirement themselves.

Friday, September 27, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Looking forward to it!
    Friday, September 27, 2019 5:06 PM
  • you will need to install latest admx for windows 10 1903

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58495&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

or try it on the win 10 1903 clients  local group policy  directly

In my case doing so just mitigates, not solve the problem.

One other observation is that the issue is far more frequent under heavy network/VPN load.

Friday, September 27, 2019 6:46 PM
  • you will need to install latest admx for windows 10 1903

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58495&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

or try it on the win 10 1903 clients  local group policy  directly

In my case doing so just mitigates, not solve the problem.

One other observation is that the issue is far more frequent under heavy network/VPN load.

Why should this do anything?? This is a policy for the RDS Host not for the client - it only makes a difference if the policy is applied on the server and it doesnt exist on mine. Either way, I tried to enable the policy on the client and as expected it doesnt make a difference.

And why is this thread markes as solved when it obviously isnt??? Copying system files from old Windows versions (that get overwritten with the next update anyway) is a solution now?!

Saturday, September 28, 2019 1:48 PM
  • @Microsoft any news to this?
    Monday, October 14, 2019 10:45 AM
  • The proposed answer should address the issues you are facing.  I have conducted 3 weeks of testing with RDS RemoteApps, and found that newer Remote Desktop Clients do not work very well and bring instability if your server client is older (in other posts today).  Either copy the RDC from the client to the server with the .DLL or the other way for an older protocol.  Bottomline is that both server and client are far stable on the same 'Supported' Remote Desktop Protocol.  You can see in many of the forums that there are mixed setup environments, which also means different protocol versions are in play.

In testing, we favorited RDP 10.6 which came from our Windows Server 2019.  Hope this helps.

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:57 PM
  • I read the proposed answer, but again this cant be a long term solution. 

Since the double keystroke thing only happens in RemoteApps it has to be a specific bug that should be fixed. Its not like Windows Server 2012 is end of life.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Can you please elaborate a bit on this. What to copy from the Client to the server ?
    Saturday, October 26, 2019 3:15 PM
  • I forgot to add that it also DOESNT happen when I connect via a slow VPN connection- so it seems to be related to the connection speed as well!
    Saturday, October 26, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Same issue here

Client: Win 10 1903 all latest patches

Server SH: Win Srv 2016 all latest patches

Problem only on some clients (the heavy users). The .dll "fix" is not a real fix, but a way around. We did this under a different mstsc problem with one of the 2018 updates. Was a real hassel to go back to the fixed version when MS released a fix (after months of trouble). 

MS needs to address the mstsc problems faster, we are currently moving our clients over to Citrix mainly because of client issues with mstsc and Windows updates.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

Your description of the problems, seems very similar to what we are facing atm...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bb5ac9c-bcd3-4422-9efc-aafe2f28ecd2/windows-10-1903-remoteapp-laggs?forum=winserverTS

Try with a different low-end mouse - like the ones, you get when purchasing a PC from Dell, HP, etc :)

• Proposed as answer by Kristian Leth Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Your description of the problems, seems very similar to what we are facing atm...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bb5ac9c-bcd3-4422-9efc-aafe2f28ecd2/windows-10-1903-remoteapp-laggs?forum=winserverTS

Try with a different low-end mouse - like the ones, you get when purchasing a PC from Dell, HP, etc :)

How is the problem you described over there in any way similiar to the issue described in this thread?!
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Same issue here

Client: Win 10 1903 all latest patches

Server SH: Win Srv 2016 all latest patches

Problem only on some clients (the heavy users). The .dll "fix" is not a real fix, but a way around. We did this under a different mstsc problem with one of the 2018 updates. Was a real hassel to go back to the fixed version when MS released a fix (after months of trouble). 

MS needs to address the mstsc problems faster, we are currently moving our clients over to Citrix mainly because of client issues with mstsc and Windows updates.

I found a way to pretty much reliably reproduce the issue: copy something with ctrl+c then past it multiple times with ctrl+v - it will often times paste twice even though you press only once (at least it does for me). 
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Now I use client - Win 10 1909 Pro (18363.449)

RDSH - WinSrv2016 (14393.3274)

Other RDSH - WinSrv2012R2 (with latest updates)

The problem still here.

But with client Win 10 1809 Pro (with latest updates) all is fine.

1903 is broken, 1909 seems to be broken too. Microsoft?!!

• Edited by Yuriy Kuzmin Saturday, November 9, 2019 6:53 PM add info
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Now I use client - Win 10 1909 Pro (18363.449)

RDSH - WinSrv2016 (14393.3274)

Other RDSH - WinSrv2012R2 (with latest updates)

The problem still here.

But with client Win 10 1809 Pro (with latest updates) all is fine.

1903 is broken, 1909 seems to be broken too. Microsoft?!!

Just an FYI for you: IF they fix it in 1903 anytime soon then its gonna take even longer until they port the fix to 1909. It was the same thing with all the other RemoteApp bugs they introduced in Windows 10.

Whoever is in charge of Windows 10 RDP/RemoteApp is doing a really bad job to say the least

Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:39 PM