none
PWA - Using incorrect account when launching Project? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently have Office 365/Project Online, PWA SharePoint Site and Project Professional on my computer.

I am having an issue now where if I try to open an enterprise project file from PWA/EPM, it pops up a window stating

"Sorry, we were unable to open your project. Please try again. If this happens again, contact your administrator."

When I load up Project directly from my desktop, it gives me a 4 login profile options - If I select either the second or third one (see attached image) I can't open the project from PWA, but if I load up MS Project and select the 4th profile, then I can load files from PWA,

I am wondering if when PWA launches the schedule, maybe it is using the incorrect profile? Is there any way to remove all of these profiles? 

I did uninstall and re-install MS Project, and funny enough, this used to work before Win10 1709 got pushed to my computer.

• Edited by bjcsoln Sunday, February 25, 2018 11:57 PM
    Sunday, February 25, 2018 11:55 PM

All replies

• Well, I figured out where to remove the profiles (under info/manage accounts in MS Project) but even with just the one profile (the one labeled (1)) EPM will still not open MS Project files, however I can open the files if I launch MS Project first, then load them from the server.

ARggg!!

Monday, February 26, 2018 12:22 AM
  • bjcsoln --

Did you set your EPM profile as the Default profile?  I believe that if you have the Computer profile set as the Default, that might cause the problem you are having.  Let us know what you find and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, February 26, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Dale,

I tried setting the working profile to the default and still the same issue. I can't load a project from PWA, but I can open MS Project, select the working profile (I have deleted the other two), and then load the file from the server.

Interesting - on my "work" computer things still seem to be working - I can go to PWA, go to the project list and then open the project from PWA - it opens up MS Project on the desktop and I guess selects the correct profile.

(Note that on both computers, the "computer" profile is set as default.

I wonder where the MS Project profile (that PWA calls) is stored? Either its at the local / browser level in which case I suppose I should try a different browser when I get home, or its at the server level, in which case my home machine is configured differently then my work machine (which is working).

I guess when I go home I will switch browsers and try - I've already re-installed MS Project...

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:16 PM
  • The issue has now spread to my work computer (using Chrome) but it appeared to work when I launched PWA using edge. I will try clearing all of my Chrome cache, any other settings - maybe this is part of the issue?
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:39 PM
  • Have you upgraded to Chrome v64 recently by any chance? We've seen the same issues since going from v62 to v64, as have others on here. No fixes/workarounds that I'm aware of yet, other than opening from Project.

Pete

Friday, March 2, 2018 1:57 PM
  • No updates to my system or any apps. Windows did push through 1709 but I rolled it back as it is causing other problems. And I just confirmed it looks like I can get the file open through PWA using edge, so I have to go back and check Chrome and clear out all of the cache, etc (or maybe try a fresh install) just to see if that fixes it.

Friday, March 2, 2018 5:00 PM