none
The application failed to launch. This may be due to a network failure Error code: 0x41E04304-00000028".

Question

• We are having an issue, whereas we are unable to launch any of the applications published via App-V for the users. As of now they are running App-V version 5.0.285. While launching the application shortcuts via App-V, users are getting an error "The application failed to launch. This may be due to a network failure Error code: 0x41E04304-00000028".

Below are the troubleshooting steps I have followed so far.

1) Added the user into local admin group to ensure that anything is preventing from the permission prospective. It works fine if the user is a part of local admin group on App-V server.

2) Added the permission like Read, Modify, Write etc for one user with no go.
    3) MS says that this error comes up when application is in unpublished state on App-V, but that not the case here.
    4) Tried with few tools like Procmon etc to see the access level with no much luck.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

• We have fixed this issue by adding the users Security Group into buildin\remote desktop group either via GPO or through locally.
    • Marked as answer by Nitin Lal Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:55 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:55 PM

All replies

• So get-appvclientpackage [package] returns that the application is published globally or to the current user.

Just to avoid pingbacks to that: with 'MS says.." you're probably referring to tp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2783120

How does the user launch the application? ShortcutFTA created by App-V?

Is it only one application / one user / one machine having this issue

What's your deployment method (Native, SCCM, PoSH, MSI..)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Falko for looking into this issue

get-appvclientpackage returns with the below results

PackageId            : 4f5b79e9-3eed-4d1e-8766-fa6fafaf34bf
    VersionId            : 8493121a-2793-4d52-9672-3f043c4aa5ec
    Name                 : InContact
    Version              : 0.0.0.0
    Path                 : \\UNCPATH\applicationname.appv
    IsPublishedToUser    : True
    UserPending          : False
    IsPublishedGlobally  : False
    GlobalPending        : False
    InUse                : False
    InUseByCurrentUser   : False
    PackageSize          : 151204387
    PercentLoaded        : 0
    IsLoading            : False
    HasAssetIntelligence : False

Users are launching the application via Citrix. If I try to launch the application without Citrix here, I am still getting the same error. Its happening with all the application now in our environment.

• Edited by Nitin Lal Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:37 PM Not applicable
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:40 PM
  • I get the same issue as well so I wrote a powershell script to start-appvvirtualprocess.

Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
        [string]$AppVAppName
    )

$AppVPackagePath = (Get-ChildItem (Split-Path -Parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path) -Filter "*.appv").FullName
    $AppVDeploymentConfigPath = (Get-ChildItem (Split-Path -Parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path) -Filter "*_DeploymentConfig.xml").FullName  
    [xml]$AppVPackage = Get-Content $AppVDeploymentConfigPath

$AppVAppId = ($AppVPackage.DeploymentConfiguration.UserConfiguration.Applications.Application|where {$_.VisualElements.Name -eq $AppVAppName}).GetAttribute("Id")

$AppVShortcutTarget = ($AppVPackage.DeploymentConfiguration.UserConfiguration.Subsystems.Shortcuts.Extensions.Extension|where {$_.Shortcut.ApplicationId -eq $AppVAppId}).Shortcut.Target|Get-Unique

$AppVShortcutTarget = $AppVShortcutTarget.Replace("[{AppVPackageRoot}]", "Root")
    $AppVShortcutTarget = $AppVShortcutTarget.Replace("[{AppVPackageDrive}]", "Root\VFS\AppVPackageDrive")
    $AppVShortcutTarget = $AppVShortcutTarget.Replace("[{ProgramFilesX86}]", "Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86")

Start-AppvVirtualProcess -AppvClientObject (Get-AppVClientPackage -PackageId ($AppVPackage.DeploymentConfiguration.PackageId)) -FilePath ($env:ProgramData + '\App-V\' + $AppVPackage.DeploymentConfiguration.PackageId + '\'+ ((Get-AppvClientPackage -PackageId ($AppVPackage.DeploymentConfiguration.PackageId)).VersionId) + '\' + $AppVShortcutTarget)

I put in the package root and call it using powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -file "Execute.ps1" -AppVAppName "<name as displayed in shortcut>"

Also I find users need to have an available path for whatever is defined in FOLDERID_RoamingAppData.

I find localized versions work well as there is no guess work.

Folder Redirection policy affects app-v, even for globally published packages.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Now that you mention that: APP-V 5 does not support folder redirection for user specific data.

This is officially mentioned at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713463.aspx

I actually found now via ther German App-V Blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2013/03/21/10404124.aspx

There, Sebastian mentiones that App-V 5.0 SP2 might include a fix for that, but I don't know if that'll happen.

Currently, a Public Beta  for SP2 is available, so it might be worthy to have a look at that.

Falko

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Did you by chance include the App-V Client in the image (prior to deployment/sysprep/generalization/etc.)

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:44 PM
  • We are experiencing the same problem with App-V 5.0.1104.0 on Windows 7 VDI in the Box. First time when a user log on to the VDI, AppV works fine. When the same user logs of and on again, error 0x41E04304-00000028.

The machine of which the VDI image was created on, works without problems. Only in VDI this problem occurs.

App-V client is installed during the deployment of the machine on which the VDI image is created, with the following command:

msiexec /i "APPV_CLIENT_MSI_X86.MSI" AcceptEULA=1 SHAREDCONTENTSTOREMODE=1 ENABLEPACKAGESCRIPTS=1 /qb!

During logon the following Powershell command is executed:

Sync-AppvPublishingServer -Force -Global -Name <ServerName>

• Edited by Cor Besseling Monday, July 15, 2013 10:53 AM extra information
    Monday, July 15, 2013 10:41 AM
  • We have fixed this issue by adding the users Security Group into buildin\remote desktop group either via GPO or through locally.
    • Marked as answer by Nitin Lal Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:55 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:55 PM
  • This is interesting... were there any indications that led you to the decision to add the users to the Remote Desktop (Users?) group?

did you now just added all AppV specific user groups, or Domain Users, bultin\users..?

Falko

Friday, August 02, 2013 8:01 AM
  • We have a identical for most of the general application where we have all the users in place. I have addressed this issue by reading the event logs from the client machine which states that user doesn't have required access level blabla.

Nitin

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:07 PM