Windows 8.1 after rollback from Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I work for an IT company and we have had a ton of issues with windows 10. I've worked with a few Microsoft Techs on some of these and their solution was to rollback Windows to the previous version. So we have been doing this on several machines that seem to have no fix for Windows 10 right now. I've had minor issues after restoring back to Windows 7, but after restoring back to Windows 8.1 on this customers PC, windows update no longer functions. The error is: There was a problem checking for updates. Code 80244019 Windows Update ran into a problem. 

I have researched this and tried several different means to resolve this issue. I'll do my best to list everything.

1. Ran the Microsoft Fixit for windows update. Which says it does find issues and fixes them but I still go back to the same error.

2. Ran sfc /scannow. Which again says it finds problems and fixes some but is unable to fix all of them. 

3. Ran icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET then ran sfc /scannow and still get the same error.

4. Ran chkdsk and no issues found.

5. All services required for Windows Update to run are running.

I'm still trying to google to find more options, but figured I would post here and maybe someone has already solved this issue.

Thanks for your time.

Friday, August 21, 2015 9:53 PM

Answers

• Not getting anymore responses I did some more research and found this command to run for DISM.

Dism.exe  /Online  /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

This cleaned up the component store and allowed windows updates to start working again. Minus a few errors installing a few updates. Working on those now but the major issue has been resolved.

• Marked as answer by SupWaldo Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:17 PM

All replies

• Probably the Windows update temporary folder has been corrupted.

Read the next thread and the answer by José Antonio Pontón Posada.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-in-window-update-error-code-80244019/c37014af-3fa0-436f-9e5a-f73af95c9586

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

For this problem, firstly, try to use DISM command below to fix system components for test:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If no use, try to use system built-in troubleshooter for test:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update

Please provide the detailed information if it provide error results.

If problem persists, access to the path below to collect Windows update log file and upload it to OneDrive, then post the download link here.

C:\Windows\Windows Update.log

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by EMMmmmmmm Monday, August 24, 2015 4:28 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 4:27 AM
  • Sorry I failed to metion running DISM and it was unable to resolve the issue. Here is the report from windows update troubleshooting. This says it fixes the issues but running Windows Update troubleshooter 3 times in a row shows the same results. I will post the log asap.

Windows Update

Issues found

Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490

Repair Windows Update Database Corruption

Completed

Windows Update components must be repaired

Repair Windows Update components

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Default Windows Update data locations have changed

Issue not present

Issues found

Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490

Fixed

Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date.

Windows Update components must be repaired

Fixed

One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly.

Potential issues that were checked

Default Windows Update data locations have changed

Issue not present

The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Here is the log. 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=853310FB2E1DBD3C!337&authkey=!AKz8me_DDndmO0U&ithint=file%2clog

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Not getting anymore responses I did some more research and found this command to run for DISM.

Dism.exe  /Online  /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

This cleaned up the component store and allowed windows updates to start working again. Minus a few errors installing a few updates. Working on those now but the major issue has been resolved.

• Marked as answer by SupWaldo Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:17 PM