none
Domain and subdomains help please RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain xyz.com that has one ip and is at one location.  I have in another town a subdomain sub.xyz.com that uses a totally different ip address. Problem  I am having when I am at xyz location and I ping sub.xyz.com I always get a return of my windows server 2008 ip address which is my dns server. However anywere but at xyz location I can ping sub.xyz.com and get the correct ip. How can I fix this problem at xyz.com location?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:43 PM

Answers

• make sure that in the DNS server hosting the xyz zone has a delegation record for sub.xyz containing the NS records pointing to the DNS servers hosting sub.xyz.com.

The problem appears to be that your DNS servers in the xyz.com domain do not have any information about the sub.xyz.com zone.

IT Guides and Videos | itgeared.com

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

• Proposed as answer by Arjen Krap Friday, August 10, 2012 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy QiModerator Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Your DNS servers hosting that domain are not configured with static IP addresses?  If not, how do you plan to maintain the name resolution processes?  A change in IP on a DNs server would cause issues for name resolution.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:05 AM

All replies

• make sure that in the DNS server hosting the xyz zone has a delegation record for sub.xyz containing the NS records pointing to the DNS servers hosting sub.xyz.com.

The problem appears to be that your DNS servers in the xyz.com domain do not have any information about the sub.xyz.com zone.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:49 PM
  • What I forgot to mention is that sub.xyz.com does not have a STATIC ip address.
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Your DNS servers hosting that domain are not configured with static IP addresses?  If not, how do you plan to maintain the name resolution processes?  A change in IP on a DNs server would cause issues for name resolution.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:05 AM
  • I do not have a dns server at sub.xyz.com.  I just use sub.xyz.com to access a remote location. I have that subnet setup with freedns and they change the ip address for sub.xyz.com whenever it changes automatically.

All I am trying to get is all  the computers connected to XYZ.com domain to not look to XYZ.coms DNS when they search for sub.xyz.com.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Then create a zone for sub.xyz.com on your DNS server(s).  Since you are working with your friends, you can establish a process that they can notify you when new records need to be added to that zone, or changes to any existing record.  Since you will be hosting the sub.xyz.com zone, your DNS will be authoritative for that zone, from your clients perspective.  Your DNS will not go outside of the box to resolve any hosts in that zone.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:23 AM
  • Then create a zone for sub.xyz.com on your DNS server(s).  Since you are working with your friends, you can establish a process that they can notify you when new records need to be added to that zone, or changes to any existing record.  Since you will be hosting the sub.xyz.com zone, your DNS will be authoritative for that zone, from your clients perspective.  Your DNS will not go outside of the box to resolve any hosts in that zone.

itgeared.comfacebook twitter youtube

Did you even look at freedns? It is not my friends! It is a service similar to dynds that allows me to create subdomains for any domain you own. Then you can add that subdomain address into a router.  Then when the ISP issues out a new ip address freedns updates the ip for that location. Make since?
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Anyone else got any ideas?
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:33 PM