Alt + F + M RRS feed

• Question

• This key pattern (not sure what the technical term for it is) will allow you to save all attachments in an email, which is great. My issue is, it seems to default to a random folder on my machine (I'm sure it's not random, but I can't really find the pattern), and then i need to navigate to the folder i want to save the attachments to. 

Is there any way to change these defaults so that i no longer need to navigate around, and instead have it default to a certain folder/path? Where would i find the option to do this?

Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know which version Microsoft Outlook do you use? When I tested in my Outlook 2016, Alt+F+M brings the following dialog to let you select which attachment to save:

When you select the attachment and click OK, it will prompt you the location to save the attachments.

What if we try to save the attachments via clicking the drop-down menu next to the attachments? Does it prompt you the location to save the attachments?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:39 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 5:56 AM
  • Hello,

Any update in this thread?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Thanks for the help Steve!!

I'm utilizing outlook 2010, and unfortunately, I'm not seeing that drop-down menu... 

It will prompt me to the folder to save to after I hit ok, but I am trying to write it into an Autohotkey to save docs to a specific folder... I'm stuck because I can't figure out how to make it default to that location once i click OK after the Alt+F+M, instead of giving me some random folder where i need to navigate manually to it. 

Benjamin Creisher

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:54 PM
  • Thank you for the update, I understood it now. Within Outlook, there is no option to force Outlook to save attachments to a specific folder. You have to choose which folder to save the attachment or drag/drop the attachments to the destination folder.

However, you may try to achieve this via VBA. See whether the following example helps:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Save-attachments-from-5b6bf54b

Regards,
    Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 19, 2018 5:53 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:12 AM