none
PC hangs on _clientsetup_$ and won't log in

Question

• I have a laptop that we upgraded from 8.1 to 10 pro.  Ran the server connect tool with server essentials.

It looked like it was going to work.  It rebooted and now it sits at the _clientsetup_$ logon screen and there is no

way around that.   I tried to wipe out the profile it created and run the connect tool again.  Same thing.

I logged into the local PC as admin.  I tried to connect to the domain that way, it will not connect.  When I reboot it simply comes back to the log on.  

HELP!!  Is there a password for the _clientsetup_$ logon so I can get past that?  I need to get this laptop on the domain and no matter what it will not work since I purchased the windows 10 pro upgrade.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom 

Monday, July 31, 2017 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, “_clientsetup_$” is a provisional configuration account. 

In general, we add new account for client using Dashboard – USERS. When installing and configuring Connector.exe on the client, enter this new user account to complete the configuration.

On the client, please switch to user log on careen, select to log on use other user. Manually enter the credential(which is used to install/configure Connector on the client) using follow formats:
    <domain name>\<user name>
    <your Password>

Then, confirm that if you can successfully log on system.

If the problem persists, I want to confirm with you that:
    1. What is the OS name and version of your Windows Server Essentials?
    2. Please log on the client system using local admin account, and check to see if “Remote Desktop Users” group exists – Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Groups. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try and follow up with you.
    Tuesday, August 01, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 04, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Hello Eve,

Per your reply please see my comment below:

On the client, please switch to user log on careen, select to log on use other user. Manually enter the credential(which is used to install/configure Connector on the client) using follow formats:
    <domain name>\<user name>
    <your Password>

Done above.  Does not work. Cannot log onto the domain with other user or admin because the PC is not yet on the domain.  Rebooting it just comes up to the _clientsetup_$ logon and then says invalid password.  When I log on as Admin (local) which is my only option, I cannot manually add the PC to the domain, I get an error that the specific domain or user cannot be contacted.  I think the _clientsetup_$ that was created by using the connector tool is preventing me from contacting the domain.  I can ping the domain so I know it sees it.

Then, confirm that if you can successfully log on system.

If the problem persists, I want to confirm with you that:
    1. What is the OS name and version of your Windows Server Essentials?

The OS name on the Client is Windows 10 Pro (recently upgraded) and on my Windows Server Essentials 16 it is version 1607 and OS build 14393.1480
    2. Please log on the client system using local admin account, and check to see if “Remote Desktop Users” group exists – Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Groups. 

Logging on the client using local admin, the remote desktop users group exists.  It doesn't seem to contain any members but the group is there.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed.  Thanks very much.

Tom Baker

Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

Please reference below steps to clear Connector.exe relate files, then, re-connect and confirm the result:
    1. Log on client as local admin account.
    2. Open Control Panel – Programs – Programs and Features – Client Connector for Windows Server Essentials – Uninstall.
    3. Delete Windows Server folder under %ProgramData%\Microsoft.
    4. Delete Windows Server Essentials folder under Task Scheduler - Task Scheduler Library – Microsoft – Windows.
    5. Since this client is still in Workgroup, there is no necessary to manually add it back to Workgroup.
    6. Re-start the client system.
    7. On Essentials Server, please open Dashboard – DEVICES, if this client computer has been listed, please manually remove it from Dashboard. 

On the client, please try to re-connect it to Essentials Server and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hello,

Completed all of these steps here is what we get.  

It logs on to windows, the desktop shows a recycle bin and nothing else.

Clicking on the start button on taskbar left side does nothing, doesn't work.   Right click  on the start button on the task bar and a small list of items appears, folders etc.  

That is essentially the same place we were at when the problem began.  

Appreciate any help!

Tom Baker

Friday, August 11, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure about your description. Have you re-tired to install and configure the Connector.exe on client?

> It logs on to windows, the desktop shows a recycle bin and nothing else.
    I want to confirm with you if you had log on using local admin account, or, domain user account? 

>That is essentially the same place we were at when the problem began.  
    Re-connect client to Essentials using Connector.exe has the same problem - _clientsetup_$ appears on log on screen?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

Please view my answers below:

Have you re-tired to install and configure the Connector.exe on client?  We use the windows connector tool.  

> It logs on to windows, the desktop shows a recycle bin and nothing else.
    I want to confirm with you if you had log on using local admin account, or, domain user account?  We use the local admin account because we are not on the domain.  We can't log in as the user because it's a network user name.

>That is essentially the same place we were at when the problem began.  
    Re-connect client to Essentials using Connector.exe has the same problem - _clientsetup_$ appears on log on screen?  YES and you can't get out of it, you can't log on as local at this point.  Can reboot or shut down and it still comes back to clientsetup.  Start button doesn't work when you get in, it doesn't get you into the domain.

It just logs into clientsetup, it's not on the domain.

HELP!

Tom Baker

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Just a thought, maybe we need to reinstall the Windows 10 Pro upgrade again?  We upgraded it from Windows 10 home version to a 10 professional.  Is there something there that was a conflict?

Can we get a disk for Windows 10 Pro and reinstall it?  This is the only PC on the network that has that problem and it's the only one that isn't letting us join the domain.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

>We upgraded it from Windows 10 home version to a 10 professional.  Is there something there that was a conflict?
    I had met similar connecting problem on upgrade Windows Client system. So, we would not exclude this possibility.

>Can we get a disk for Windows 10 Pro and reinstall it?
    Microsoft official website does not provide Windows Client/Server ISO files. in general, you can contact the provider/seller/website from whom/where you obtained the upgrade key, and ask them for installation ISO file.

Also, you may try to using “sfc /scannow” and DISM.EXE to check/repair system files and confirm the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:24 AM