none
Where to protect CSV VMs? RRS feed

• Question

• Background: DPM 2012 protecting multiple VMs on 2008 R2 Hyper-V cluster (CSV).

I'm not sure what selection to protect when I see the following:

ClusterName (cluster)
        -VM Name
            -[] HyperV
                -[] Backup using Child Partition Snapshot\VM Name

Q: Do I select HyperV (which selects the child check box as well) or do I just select Backup using Child Partition Snapshot?
    Q: Is it important to protect "System Protection" for individual VMs if we already are protecting the VM using "backup using child partition snapshot"?

Also, I see the following when I expand my HyperV host computer names:

HYPERV Server Name
        -[] All Shares
        -[] All Volumes
        -[] Hyperv
            -[] Backup using Child Partition Snapshot
            -[] Initial Store
        -[] System Protection

Q: The "Backup using Child Partition Snapshot" doesn't have anything under it (no child check boxes). Does this indicate DPM will protect any VM that happens to be on this host? Sometimes we migrate the VMs from host to host so wouldn't it be better to protect them at the "Cluster" level (see above) and leave this selection completely blank?

Any direction is appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Good questions here. I will do my best to answer them for you.

Q: Do I select HyperV (which selects the child check box as well) or do I just select Backup using Child Partition Snapshot?

If you select Hyper-V it will protect all VM's on that Hyper-v server and the initial store. If you select the Child Partitions it will protect only the VM's you chose.

Q: Is it important to protect "System Protection" for individual VMs if we already are protecting the VM using "backup using child partition snapshot"?

Protecting a server at the VM level is backing up the entire machine so in theory you don't need System Protection on top of this. However there may be instances where you don't need to protect an entire server at the VM level but you want to backup the system state protection. For example I would also protect the system state of a domain controller on top of the VM just to be extra safe in case something happened to the VM protection.

Q: The "Backup using Child Partition Snapshot" doesn't have anything under it (no child check boxes). Does this indicate DPM will protect any VM that happens to be on this host? Sometimes we migrate the VMs from host to host so wouldn't it be better to protect them at the "Cluster" level (see above) and leave this selection completely blank?

To protect any servers on the host you will want to protect at the Hyper-V level. Yes you do want to protect the VM's on the cluster vs the Hyper-V server when they are a part of the cluster.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:13 PM