none
windows 2016 server standard start menu stopped working after joining to the Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a 2003 domain schema that i am trying to upgrade. i have a mixed environment of windows 7 and windows 10 EU machines. and a mixed DC environment. one windows 2003 server (i need to phase out), two windows 2008 r2 servers, and 2 windows 2012 servers as domain controllers. 

I spun up a windows 2016 server standard and joined it to the domain. as soon as i restarted i was unable to open the start menu

Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:46 PM

Answers

• I figured out after 3 hours of trouble shooting and triage. that as soon as i removed the server from the domain the start menu was activated. when i re joined to the domain start menu wouldn't work.

I knew that this was a GPO related issue. so I Tired several GPO settings. but when i change the Cortana Group Policy: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search\Allow Cortana=Not Configured. this resolved my start Menu problem while still joined to the domain. 

• Marked as answer by jstewart61783 Friday, October 21, 2016 2:32 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 2:32 AM