Task Sequence to ONLY install Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to create a custom task sequence to ONLY perform the function that task "Windows Update (Post-Application Installation)" does.  Basically running through multiple reboots until the machine is fully patched.

My attempts to strip things out of a Standard Task Sequence, or add that task to a Custom Task Sequence result in the WSF dialog for the task running, but then ending quickly with a completion dialog with nothing having really been done.

Has anyone done this successfully?  Searches haven't turned up much.

Thanks,

-Matt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Saturday, August 22, 2015 8:04 PM

Answers

• Yes I have tried it before and works just fine.  Just tried it again and surely works :) . Here are the steps that I did:

1) Created a Custom Task Sequence.

2) Copied the step of Windows Update from an existing "Standard Client Task Sequence" and pasted it in the ts.xml of the Custom TS.

<step name="Windows Update (Post-Application Installation)" disable="false" continueOnError="true" successCodeList="0 3010" description="" startIn="">
        <action>cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf"</action>
        <defaultVarList>
          <variable name="RunAsUser" property="RunAsUser">false</variable>
          <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName"></variable>
          <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword"></variable>
          <variable name="LoadProfile" property="LoadProfile">false</variable>
        </defaultVarList>
      </step>

3) Removed the default step of application install from the Custom TS.

4) Logged into a Client. Connected to the Deployment Share.

5) Ran the Litetouch.vbs script and selected the Custom TS.

6) The updates started running.

Just remember that the total number of restarts that ZTIWindowsUpdate allows is 7 and if you want to increase modify that script.

If it is still not working for you, let me have a look at your BDD Log.

• Marked as answer by Matt5150 Monday, August 24, 2015 6:03 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:16 PM

All replies

• Yes I have tried it before and works just fine.  Just tried it again and surely works :) . Here are the steps that I did:

1) Created a Custom Task Sequence.

2) Copied the step of Windows Update from an existing "Standard Client Task Sequence" and pasted it in the ts.xml of the Custom TS.

<step name="Windows Update (Post-Application Installation)" disable="false" continueOnError="true" successCodeList="0 3010" description="" startIn="">
        <action>cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf"</action>
        <defaultVarList>
          <variable name="RunAsUser" property="RunAsUser">false</variable>
          <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName"></variable>
          <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword"></variable>
          <variable name="LoadProfile" property="LoadProfile">false</variable>
        </defaultVarList>
      </step>

3) Removed the default step of application install from the Custom TS.

4) Logged into a Client. Connected to the Deployment Share.

5) Ran the Litetouch.vbs script and selected the Custom TS.

6) The updates started running.

Just remember that the total number of restarts that ZTIWindowsUpdate allows is 7 and if you want to increase modify that script.

If it is still not working for you, let me have a look at your BDD Log.

• Marked as answer by Matt5150 Monday, August 24, 2015 6:03 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:16 PM
  • Doh, looks like it was a WSUS grouping error on my part.  Your solution works fine.

Thanks!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Monday, August 24, 2015 6:04 PM