none
File Size Inflated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a project file with ~1700 tasks that 3 people are working on, sending it to each other by mail.

My colleague works with 2010, he sent me the file and it was 5MB.

I saved it to my laptop and opened it with my Project Pro 2016 for Office 365, add some 20 tasks and colored some 15 cells, and the file size inflated to 10 MB. 

Earlier this week, I got the file in the size of 19MB, deleted ~10 tasks and saved, and the sized reduced to 6MB.

Such minor changes don't justify these big changes in file size.

What are the reasons?

Barak

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:10 PM

Answers

• Barak,

One thing that doesn't help is passing the file back and forth between users with each having a different version of Project. You would be much better off to stick with one version of Project and/or have only one user as the designated file "curator".

As far as file bloat, it could be the result of file corruption or if the file contains a lot of custom formatting, graphics, customs views, etc. those can add to the file bloat. You might want to take a look at the following Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 7:29 PM

All replies

• Barak,

One thing that doesn't help is passing the file back and forth between users with each having a different version of Project. You would be much better off to stick with one version of Project and/or have only one user as the designated file "curator".

As far as file bloat, it could be the result of file corruption or if the file contains a lot of custom formatting, graphics, customs views, etc. those can add to the file bloat. You might want to take a look at the following Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 7:29 PM
  • On top of what John said, make sure that Project 2010 and 2016 have all the latest updates installed. Inter version sharing is certain to have small gotchas if the latest updates are not installed.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:38 PM