Cluster resource 'Cluster Disk 2' of type 'Physical Disk' in clustered role 'Cluster Group' failed. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a constant error in Hyper-V Failover Cluster:

Cluster resource 'Cluster Disk 2' of type 'Physical Disk' in clustered role 'Cluster Group' failed.

Based on the failure policies for the resource and role, the cluster service may try to bring the resource online on this node or move the group to another node of the cluster and then restart it.  Check the resource and group state using Failover Cluster Manager or the Get-ClusterResource Windows PowerShell cmdlet.

Get-ClusterResource reports that all resources are online. Disks used for quouta (the one that is failing) and one for VMs are on external RAID5 matrix. Cluster is verified.

Identifier is 1069 and source is Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering. I attach cluster.log file in 30 minutes timespan

https://bit.ly/3g3p458

Sunday, July 26, 2020 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

When a resource fails to come online, then, usually, the Event 1069 is logged on the server hosting this resource.  Could you help to check what's the date and time of the Event 1069?

Also please help to check the system event log for the Event 1069 and see around that time frame if any additional errors/warnings logged.

Best Regards,

Ian Xue

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Ian Xue Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:04 AM
  • I get an error just before that one:

The cluster service detected a problem with the witness resource. The witness resource will be failed over to another node within the cluster in an attempt to reestablish access to cluster configuration data.

Identifier is 1558

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 10:32 AM
  • Could you help to confirm the time of these events? You may also attach the event log.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:43 AM
  • the difference between events is about a minute or two. Wtiness resource will be failed is the first one and then the second error. According to disk management, the disk is online
    Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:42 PM
  • Hi 

Can please check the san or nas connectivty 

if slove the please share with me the solution 

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:45 PM
  • Number Friendly Name Serial Number HealthStatus OperationalStatus Total Size PartitionStyle
    ------ ------------- -------------                    ------------         -----------------      ---------- ----------
    1      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  1 GB          MBR
    1      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  1 GB          MBR
    3      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  1 TB           MBR
    2      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  846.12 GB  MBR
    3      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  1 TB           MBR
    3      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  1 TB           MBR
    2      QNAP iSCSI... ...                 Healthy              Online                  846.12 GB  MBR
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 9:45 PM
  • In "disks" section of Failover manager I have both disks (cluster and witness) assigned to one of the nodes. When I fail any of the nodes, the cluster fails and I get the following errors in the journal:

LogExtendedErrorInformation (974): Extended RPC error information:
    ProcessID is 3088
    System time is: 9040/470/24983 0:0:58832:8258
    Generating component is 2
    Status is 1753
    Detection location is 501
    Flags is 0
    NumberOfParameters is 4
    Unicode string: ncacn_ip_tcp
    Unicode string: SRV.woronko.com.pl
    Long val: -1182943054
    Long val: 382312662

Cluster failed to start. The latest copy of cluster configuration data was not available within the set of nodes attempting to start the cluster. Changes to the cluster occurred while the set of nodes were not in membership and as a result were not able to receive configuration data updates. .

Cluster node 'SRV' failed to join the cluster because it could not communicate over the network with any other node in the cluster. Verify network connectivity and configuration of any network firewalls. (I shut down the second node, to check failover)

Node 'SRV' failed to form a cluster. This was because the witness was not accessible. Please ensure that the witness resource is online and available.

Witness disk was down and I don't know why Windows put it offline, as it shouldn't

Friday, August 7, 2020 12:31 AM
  • I moved the witness from a disk to a file share and gave proper permissions. When one machine fails, everything is okay and the disk owner moves to another machine. But afterwards when I turn it on and fail the second machine, cluster fails again
    • Marked as answer by Tom1PL Friday, August 7, 2020 1:04 AM
    • Edited by Tom1PL Friday, August 7, 2020 1:08 AM edit
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom1PL Friday, August 7, 2020 1:09 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2020 1:04 AM
  • I restarted both machines and now it cluster has totally failed. I can't even close it.

I am getting fed up and I don't know if it is worth with all the hassle

Friday, August 7, 2020 1:38 AM
  • Did you run the cluster validation report?  It will generally do a good job of explaining configuration errors/warnings that could have a bearing on this.  

tim

Friday, August 7, 2020 1:06 PM