Cannot find link to "EMET 5.2 Setup.msi" for perform uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have EMET 5.2 and am trying to update to EMET 5.5.   However, I do not have the original "EMET 5.2 Setup.msi" to perform the uninstall.

Can someone help point me to a working download location for EMET 5.2?

Thanks,

Eli

Saturday, February 13, 2016 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this is what the official EMET 5.5 documentation says about upgrading from a previous version of EMET:

"I have an old version of EMET installed. How do I upgrade to EMET 5.5 ?

If you have a version of EMET older than 3, it is recommended that you first uninstall the old version via the Windows Control Panel, and then manually delete the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EMET and HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\EMET keys. If you have EMET 3 or EMET 4 and want to upgrade to EMET 5.5 , you can run the installation package and follow the instructions to either maintain your old configuration or apply the recommended one." [1]

In other words, just download EMET 5.5 and run the installer, and it will recognise EMET 5.2 and replace it. 
    I have done so myself, and it works without any problems. However, I would export my current 5.2 rules in order to have a backup just in case prior to upgrade.

Good luck and best regards! :-)

[1] - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50802

Saturday, February 13, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Thank, but just running the new 5.5 installer does not work.

When I run the 5.5 installer, it automatically tries to uninstall the existing 5.2 install.  This prompts for the location of the original "EMET 5.2 Setup.msi" file I which I do not have.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 9:32 PM
  • It does seem to have been scoured from Microsoft's server, and no one ever really hosted it.

I know I have a copy of it at work, in our SCCM share. I can post a link up here on Tuesday (off on Monday) if you can't find one by then; with the normal caveats that you're taking a download from some random guy on a forum to uninstall your security software ;)

Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:25 PM