Usage Analysis Reporting returning no results RRS feed

• Question

• I have reviewed some of these threads and searched around for quite a bit and I cannot find my answer, most of the threads refer to basic set up problems, and I believe this is different. I have a client that is still on MOSS 2007 and they are moving to SharePoint 2013. We are not doing an in-place migration because it is small. We are starting from scratch. I was originally involved in the MOSS 2007 implementation.  One of the things we want to do is re configure the top-level sites. I wanted to use usage analysis reporting to gain insight into what is being used as part of the effort to decide what we want to re-create. Logged in to the site and found that Usage Analysis reporting died in April 2014 and I have done everything I can do to get it started again with no luck, except for rebooting which I am about to ask for from them.

The usage analysis job still shows as completing successfully every day and the Timer Jobs are all in good shape but there is no data returned in the reports starting May 2014

I poked around the 12 directory and there are folders with GUID's for name with sub-folders by day, and there are unprocessed Windows SharePoint Services HTTP logs in these folders... so I am very confused now how this got so messed up.

I don't think this has been patched for 2 - 3 years minimum, which is one of the many reasons why we are moving to SharePoint 2013.  I just want to do whatever it takes to get the most recent usage data so I can use it to analyze traffic on sites without a lot of extra work.

Failing my ability to get Usage Analysis Reporting working again, I suspect I will have to gather all the IIS logs and process them through a freeware usage file analysis program. 

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Thank you

DWM

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Devin, 

as i know if the timer job, have issues then the 1st thing that you may need to do is to clear the cache.ini. 

if it is success but there was no results, it is quite hard to deal, because based on default, success means no issues, but there are nothing to be get if the timer jobs that fill in the data table is not running well, so the table may be empty in the first place.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jamesway/archive/2011/05/23/sharepoint-2010-clearing-the-configuration-cache.aspx

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Devin,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,

Daniel Yang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi Devin,

if i may ask, do the report now is at moss 2007 that have issue?

if yes, please have a check these timer jobs, and make sure they are enabled.

- Usage Analysis (for all applications)
    - Office SharePoint Usage Analytics Log Import
    - Office SharePoint Usage Analytics Log Processing

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:39 AM
  • As I indicated in my post. All the jobs are working and running correctly. There are no errors. The log files show in the 12 directory, but even though the job runs and shows "Success" there is no data in any of the reports on the Sites past April 2014.

I have restarted all the services, even rebooted the server and checked every setting related to Usage Analysis processing and the error logs and there is nothing that indicates that this should not be working...

DWM

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Hi Devin, 

as i know if the timer job, have issues then the 1st thing that you may need to do is to clear the cache.ini. 

if it is success but there was no results, it is quite hard to deal, because based on default, success means no issues, but there are nothing to be get if the timer jobs that fill in the data table is not running well, so the table may be empty in the first place.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jamesway/archive/2011/05/23/sharepoint-2010-clearing-the-configuration-cache.aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:00 PM