What triggered the Windows Updates installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two none domain Windows 2012 server. I configured the Local Group Policy for Windows updates to automatically install like below.

However the updates were installed today and server rebooted. Today is not Friday. I checked the server time and it is correct. I don't know what triggered the Windows updates to install today. I checked the Event Viewer but couldn't figured it out.   

I need help! 

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have Maintenance Scheduler configured? Please check your local group policy settings:

Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Maintenance Scheduler

On Windows 8 and later, you can set updates to install during automatic maintenance instead of a specific schedule. Automatic maintenance will install updates when the computer is not in use, and avoid doing so when the computer is running on battery power. If automatic maintenance is unable to install updates for 2 days, Windows Update will install updates right away. Users will then be notified about an upcoming restart, and that restart will only take place if there is no potential for accidental data loss.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hi Yan,

Thank you for your help! I checked the Maintenance Scheduler and they are all not configured. 

I looked around and found the Automatic maintenance in Action Center is enable and the scheduled time matched the Windows update time in Event View. It must be it.

The server is Windows server 2012. I did some research about Automatic maintenance and it seems it is a new thing in 2012., however I found some of 2012 server has it, but some not. Do you know why?

Thanks,

Grace

Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Hello,

Windows Automatic Maintenance minimizes impact to the PC by scheduling maintenance only when the PC is on and idle. By default, the system performs maintenance daily, starting at 3 AM. (Note that the user may re-schedule when the maintenance occurs.) This daily session is limited to a maximum duration of 1 hour per attempt. If the user is actively using the machine, the system defers maintenance until a later time. The system also suspends any executing maintenance task if the user returns to the PC.

This can be manually configured, I suppose users modified the settings. You can disable this feature if you do not want to use it. 

For more details about automatic maintenance, please go through the article below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/jj835985%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/automatic-maintenance-windows-8

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:33 AM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 6:37 AM