none
Dazed and Confused: Analysis Services Cube to SharePoint via PerformancePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I am totally confused!

I've created a sales cube in Analysis Services and now I'm trying to make it available in SharePoint but I don't want to use an Office Product. I want to use a web part that contains a "real" cube browser.

There is no viewer built in with SharePoint, but there is the ProClarity web part that's available. So I install it but it wants a ProClarity web site to connect to (http://server/pas).  So I can't use it to connect directly to SSAS. But...

I got the impression that the ProClarity pieces of PerformancePoint would provide a cube viewer that I could then integrate into SharePoint, but how?  I've bought a couple of PP books, done some internet research, but so far so no good.  It seems that Microsoft does not offer a cube viewer web part using ANY of its products.

Please tell me I just haven't found the right documentation yet?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter

The Monitoring part of performancepoint is where you will find the closest thing to a cube viewer within PPS - the anaylytic grid.

Try this demo from Richard Lees site - right click to see interactive functionality

This will allow you to pivot, filter, drill across, drill through etc

There are some limitations in that the source mdx queries have to be relatively simple or you will lose the interactive functionality.

Alternatively set up the Proclarity Server (PAS) and use the proclarity web part as you found out.  PAS is included in the PPS licence.

Hope this helps

Tim

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter

The Monitoring part of performancepoint is where you will find the closest thing to a cube viewer within PPS - the anaylytic grid.

Try this demo from Richard Lees site - right click to see interactive functionality

This will allow you to pivot, filter, drill across, drill through etc

There are some limitations in that the source mdx queries have to be relatively simple or you will lose the interactive functionality.

Alternatively set up the Proclarity Server (PAS) and use the proclarity web part as you found out.  PAS is included in the PPS licence.

Hope this helps

Tim

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Thanks, Tim!  At least I know it's doable, but I have one followup question: Is the PAS server a separate download from Microsoft? It was not installed as part of PPS.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:51 PM
  • ProClarity Analytical Server (PAS) is a separate install.

If you want ad-hoc capabilites for your end-users to get the cube browser capabilites like you would get within Excel PivotTables or ProClarity Desktop Professional you might want to look at the Dundas OLAP control (which I believe at some point might be part of SSRS with the Dundas code base purchase) - Dundas OLAP Services v6.1 now available.

or this End-User Adhoc Report Building for PerformancePoint and SharePoint (which is a modification of the Dundas OLAP).

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:43 PM