Descriptions of server roles RRS feed

• Question

• HI - I'm looking for the official MS descriptions of the FCS Server roles and I can't seem to locate them in the documentation "library".

Thanks - BH 
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi!

I'm not sure how much detail you are looking fore but here is an overview of the different FCS server roles

Management server - the server wich has the management console installed.
    Collection server - Running MOM 2005 (locked down for FCS use only) and communicates with the clients and collects client info
    Collection database - Running 32 bit SQL 2005 std or ent edition to store the collected data. DTS job moves the data every night to the reporting database
    Reporting Server - Running 32 bit SQL 2005 std or ent edition with Reporting services, provides data for the reports
    Reporting database - longtime store for collected client data
    Distribution server - This is the wsus server.  This role is only installed (run fcs setup on the wsus server) when you have WSUS 2.x in your environment. If you have WSUS 3 it's all about config and the distribution role setup does not have to be installed

hope this helps

/Johan
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Hethcote Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:03 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I'm not sure how much detail you are looking fore but here is an overview of the different FCS server roles

Management server - the server wich has the management console installed.
    Collection server - Running MOM 2005 (locked down for FCS use only) and communicates with the clients and collects client info
    Collection database - Running 32 bit SQL 2005 std or ent edition to store the collected data. DTS job moves the data every night to the reporting database
    Reporting Server - Running 32 bit SQL 2005 std or ent edition with Reporting services, provides data for the reports
    Reporting database - longtime store for collected client data
    Distribution server - This is the wsus server.  This role is only installed (run fcs setup on the wsus server) when you have WSUS 2.x in your environment. If you have WSUS 3 it's all about config and the distribution role setup does not have to be installed

hope this helps

/Johan
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Hethcote Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:03 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:59 PM
  • That ought to do the trick - Thanks Johan
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:04 PM