Create KPI in Cube or in PerformancePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have requirement to build some KPI's in and then publish in the dashboard in SharePoint. I was wondering if should I create the KPI's in the cube and import in PPS or I should create the KPI's in the PPS 2010 itself?

I am not sure which approach is correct or what are the pros and cons are of the both the appraches?

Can you please help me with this.

Thanks, Gaurav
    http://gauravsqlserver.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• If the KPIs are built on the same measure group, it is best to create them in the cube - that way it can be used in any OLAP client - PPS, SharePoint, Excel, etc

You can create them in PPS if the values depend on different data sources as there you have the flexibility of comparing numbers across different sources

HTH

-Remember to mark as helpful/the answer if you agree with the post.
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hello Guarav,

When I first stumled upon this type of decision making I also wanted to use KPI's created on the Cube but soon enought I encountered a problem with SQL Server Components. After installing the Analysis Services Management Objects from the Feature Pack the errors didnt go away so I did some furhter reading and found out one needs to do the SQL Server setup again and install Client Tools Connectivity option and you will see the KPIs in the Scorecard Wizard.

What I suggest, and I made numerous KPI's like that, is to create KPI's in Performance Point because you have more flexibility in creating them, meaning you can use different data sets in one KPI/Scorecard which you cannot do on the Cube in SSAS.

HTH,

Luka

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:28 PM

All replies

• If the KPIs are built on the same measure group, it is best to create them in the cube - that way it can be used in any OLAP client - PPS, SharePoint, Excel, etc

You can create them in PPS if the values depend on different data sources as there you have the flexibility of comparing numbers across different sources

HTH

-Remember to mark as helpful/the answer if you agree with the post.
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hello Guarav,

When I first stumled upon this type of decision making I also wanted to use KPI's created on the Cube but soon enought I encountered a problem with SQL Server Components. After installing the Analysis Services Management Objects from the Feature Pack the errors didnt go away so I did some furhter reading and found out one needs to do the SQL Server setup again and install Client Tools Connectivity option and you will see the KPIs in the Scorecard Wizard.

What I suggest, and I made numerous KPI's like that, is to create KPI's in Performance Point because you have more flexibility in creating them, meaning you can use different data sets in one KPI/Scorecard which you cannot do on the Cube in SSAS.

HTH,

Luka

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:28 PM