none
Editing of timeline of the Graphs in MS project . RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I had prepared a chart for the remaining cummulative  actual work and baseline cummulative work.

I want to show the remaining cummulative actual work only till status date but the graph is extrapolated to the complete timeline.

How to do that.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:16 AM

All replies

• Sujay --

To the best of my knowledge, I do not see any way to do what you want automatically.  However, if you are willing to do some manual work with your report, here is what you can do:

1.  Display the report and then click the chart.

2.  In the Select Category section at the top of the Field List sidepane, make sure Time is selected, and then click the Edit button.

3.  In the Edit Timescale dialog, change the Finish date to the Status date of your project, and then click the OK button.

This would be a manual process in which you would need to repeat the previous three steps each week after updating your Status date.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Sujay,

Just curious, what exactly is "remaining cumulative actual work"? For that matter, what is remaining actual work?

By definition, "actual work" is something that actually happened (i.e. history) so effectively any "actual" data is only known up to the current date.

John

Friday, January 5, 2018 4:29 PM
  • John --

Remaining Cumulative Actual Work is one of the new timephased fields that Microsoft introduced in the 2013 version of Microsoft Project.  It is intended for use in Burndown reports using the new Dashboard Reports functionality.  Yeah, I know that the name of the field makes no sense, but it is a field that is available in the Task Usage and Resource Usage views (shown in the timephased grid), along with any Burndown reports you might want to create.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 5, 2018 4:48 PM
  • Dale,

Yeah, that does help. Thanks a bunch for enlightening me (as usual). Hopefully I'll remember this if another user asks a similar question :)

I guess one other method to get what the user wants is with a macro to export the data to Excel and do the graph.

John

Friday, January 5, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the explanation.  Like John, I was confused by the original question.  I Agree that the name of the field makes no sense.  

Office Support says:

Remaining Cumulative Actual Work = Total Work – Cumulative Actual Work.

The "Actual" in the left-hand term simply confuses and would be better left out imo. 

Friday, January 5, 2018 6:49 PM