none
Small business Server 2008 R2

Question

• Hi

could you please clearify for me what is the difference between the two windows server operating systems.

Windows Small Business Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards

Sbu

Friday, February 8, 2019 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Sbu,

Windows Small Business Server (SBS) is limited to 75 users and it is not able to create a trust.

You can find some of the differences in the link below:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/go/microsoft/server/chart-compare-servers.asp

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, February 8, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hello Sbu,

I have found same thread. You can go through it. It will be helpful for you.

Read here

Thanks & Best Regards,

Abhishek Sachdeva

Please mark this answer if it is helpful for you.

Friday, February 8, 2019 8:35 AM
  • there is no SBS 2008 R2, I think you want to know what's the difference between SBS 2011(essentials or standard) and server 2008 r2 .
    Windows Small Business Server 2011 essentail version supports up to 25 users and 50 devices .
    Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard version is designed for use with up to 75 users and devices.
    Windows Small Business Server 2011 need to have full fsmo ,it used in single domain environemt and not support 2 way trust.There are no these limitation on server 2008 r2.
    SBS 2011 is based on Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010
    SBS 2008 is based on Server 2008 and Exchange 2007

Getting Started with Windows Small Business Server 2011
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2228459

by the way,  Windows Small Business Server (SBS) with the final version being SBS 2011 and its support is End-of-Life at December 31, 2013.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 11, 2019 9:48 AM
  • One thing the all have in common is they are all on extended support and set to EOL in about 10-11 months.  If you are searching for a new server OS, I cannot recommend any of these.  Better Server 2016, either Standard or Essentials, or the latest, Server 2019 which has no Essentials features, but does have an Essentials Version at a lower price point because of limits on the number of  users.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, February 11, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:46 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:54 AM