iOS PEAP-TLS Wifi Authentication with Microsoft NPS Server Error 300 RRS feed

• Question

• I have PEAP working with MSCHAPv2 on an iPad, but I cannot get PEAP working with 'Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate' for authentication.

The error I get is this: 

Reason Code: 300
    Reason: No credentials are available in the security package

I can get 'Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate' (without PEAP) authentication working on the iPad using the certificate I created for it.

Please help.

• Edited by EricR-82 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:35 PM

Answers

• So far as I can tell this person on Experts Exchange is correct that Apple just doesn't support PEAP-TLS.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29072130/iOS-PEAP-TLS-Wifi-Authentication-with-Microsoft-NPS-Server-Error-300.html

• Marked as answer by EricR-82 Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>I have PEAP working with MSCHAPv2 on an iPad, but I cannot get PEAP working with 'Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate' for authentication.

The NPS will have a cert from the internal CA so the Windows clients will trust the NPS if they too have a cert from the same CA.

Based on my research,the Apple clients don't know about the internal CA until you install the CA's root cert on it.  Apple devices expect to validate the certificate.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Yes, I have included our CA cert in the profile and instructed the iOS device to trust the CA.

My assumption is that if authentication works with PEAP MSCHAPv2 then the NPS certificate trust must work. I actually include both the CA certificate and the certificate of the NPS and instruct the iOS profile to accept both as trusted.

Thank you for any assistance.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:11 PM
  • So far as I can tell this person on Experts Exchange is correct that Apple just doesn't support PEAP-TLS.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29072130/iOS-PEAP-TLS-Wifi-Authentication-with-Microsoft-NPS-Server-Error-300.html

• Marked as answer by EricR-82 Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:50 PM