Event Log Container of Group Policy (Windows XP x64)? RRS feed

• Question

• I am configuring an Event Log Policy on Windows XP Pro 64 bit (SP2), multi user stand alone computer. Actually, I was following step-by-step instruction to configure Event Log through Group Policy (gpedit.msc).

On the instruction it says that I can configure the Event Log settings in the following location within the GPO editor: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Securitty Settings\Event Log\Settings for Event Logs;

In reality, I can not see the Event Log container under the said location? Is their anyway or any place that I should turn on that feature so that the event log container will be availabel to configure the following:

- Maximum Event Size, Retain Event Logs, Retantion method for event log, and Deligating Access to the event logs.

Your help is veny much appreciated.  

Dereje
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• Please quote the KB article you were working from?  AFAIK, this setting is only available in a domain environment.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:27 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778402(WS.10).aspx

The article also applies for Windows XP if you read through it. As a matter of fact, I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition SP2 as well. I also tried to find the event log container on it. I can see it there too. I suspect there must be somewhere to turn it on?

Thank you for the help 

Dereje
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I quote from the article:

"Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2".

This will work on XP machines in a domain environment.  Note the repeated use in this article of GPO_Name. There is no mention of gpedit in the article.  They are expecting you to use Group Policy Management Console to manage Group Policy Objects, not gpedit to modify the local policy.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:11 PM
  • I have been trying to use this group policy to set the Securtiy log properties for a while now using GPMC and I have had no luck. I have created and linked the policy and verified using the "Group Policy Results" feature in GPMC and it indicates that the policy is being applied to my Windows XP workstations but when I look directly at the settings on the security logs, they are still at the default values. Can anyone offer some clues as to why it's not working for me? My domain controllers are all Windows Server 2003 or 2003 R2 and all workstations are XP SP3.
    Thanks...Ray
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:36 PM