none
Error Event ID: 28005 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I have been receiving the following error for the last few days:

    An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15517, State: 1. Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "dbo" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

    When I pull up the details the log points to the "Master" database.

    I tried following the directions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913423 but SQL Server comes back complaining that I cannot change the owner of a system database.

    Any ideas?


    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    • Edited by Quilnux Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:59 PM corrected a typo
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

  • We managed to determine that a DBCC was run on the database server for all databases (still unsure as to why) and found that 80% of the databases we have running had issues where the database owner information was unreadable or was corrupt. Using the sp_changedbowner command in a query window, we managed to get all the databases back to a usable state. The Master database still would not change owners but we managed to find a good version of master within our backups. It looks like this has resolved the problem and the error logs have not been seen in a few days.


    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:08 PM
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:08 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Can you try the following:

    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE Master TO sa

    This eventually would help, but I am not a 100% sure.



    Ivan Donev MCTS SQL 2005,MCTS SQL Server 2008, MCITP 2008 BI Development
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Hello,

    Can you try the following:

    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE Master TO sa

    This eventually would help, but I am not a 100% sure.



    Ivan Donev MCTS SQL 2005,MCTS SQL Server 2008, MCITP 2008 BI Development


    It didn't like the syntax you provided so I edited it to:

    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::master TO sa;
    

    Regardless it returned the same error.

    Msg 15109, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot change the owner of the master, model, tempdb or distribution database.
    

    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Hi Quilnux,

     

    As error message said, the owner of the master, model, tempdb, distribution database cannot be changed.

     

    Therefore I would like to recommend that you change the owner of database related to this issue.

     

    If this issue still exists, before further investigation, please provide us more background information about this issue.

     

    If anything is unclear, please let me know.


    Regards,
    Tom Li
    Friday, November 19, 2010 8:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Quilnux,

     

    As error message said, the owner of the master, model, tempdb, distribution database cannot be changed.

     

    Therefore I would like to recommend that you change the owner of database related to this issue.

     

    If this issue still exists, before further investigation, please provide us more background information about this issue.

     

    If anything is unclear, please let me know.


    Regards,
    Tom Li

    Neither one of these replies has resolved the problem. It still exists. It is in fact the Master database. Is there a way I can reset the entire master database or will I have to reinstall SQL Server to do that?
    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:35 PM
  • We managed to determine that a DBCC was run on the database server for all databases (still unsure as to why) and found that 80% of the databases we have running had issues where the database owner information was unreadable or was corrupt. Using the sp_changedbowner command in a query window, we managed to get all the databases back to a usable state. The Master database still would not change owners but we managed to find a good version of master within our backups. It looks like this has resolved the problem and the error logs have not been seen in a few days.


    Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:08 PM
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:08 PM