Still having slow login issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am still having trouble with a slow login to the admin user (the user I installed SteadyState under).  I have read previous thread about solutions, but none have seem to work.  This is what I see in the event viewer.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7022
    Date:  7/9/2007
    Time:  11:38:43 AM <--------------------------------------------------  Notice the time
    User:  N/A
    Computer: IE2019WL05355
    Description:
    The Windows SteadyState Service service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and the event before this one...

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: b57w2k
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 9
    Date:  7/9/2007
    Time:  11:36:55 AM  <--------**********************************Notice the time
    User:  N/A
    Computer: IE2019WL05355
    Description:
    Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 56 00   ......V.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 05 40   .......@
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

Notice the time between these two events.  This is where it seems to hang/pause.  If I disable the Windows SteadyState Service, the login process is a lot faster.  SCT v1.1 was not this slow logging in as the admin.  I hope this helps in finding out what the hang up is.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After we install the SteadyState, the first logon for any new restart will have a more-or-less one minute delay. this is a expected behavior for the SteadyState. The issue has not been clearly described  in  SteadyState readme file and we will update that file in the days to come.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:48 PM
  • The Windows SteadyState Service (sctsvc.exe) is a critical component of SteadyState.  See this thread for details.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:07 PM

All replies

• To isolate the root cause for this issue, we need to confirm whether the sctsvc is still running and functioning after the slow logon. You can perform the following test:

1.       Set a logon session limit of just a minute or two for a restricted user.

2.       Log on as the restricted user

As Sctsvc is responsible for enforcing those limits, if the account is forced off after the limit expires, then we know sctsvc is still working.  That would suggest that maybe the initial logon delay was the cause of the SCM thinking that the service had hung, and that it’s not a big deal since it clears itself up soon thereafter.  If not, then something more serious has happened and the service really is dead.

Also you can refer to this threads on the similar  issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1816794&SiteID=69

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:06 PM
  • The problem with the slow login issue is the actual admin account, not the public locked profile.  I did as you asked for kicks and it logs in at 20 seconds!  When I log back into the admin profile it NOW logs in at 20 seconds.  BUT, from a cold boot, the admin profile takes over a minute to finally get to the desktop.  During this 1 to 1.5 minute pause it just displays the wallpaper with no icons or Start button.  If I stop the Windows SteadyState Service from auto starting, using msconfig, my admin profile starts up normal from a cold boot.  I hope this helps, because I don't know if that was explained in my post and others that have had this issue.

Cheers,

Barry

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

After we install the SteadyState, the first logon for any new restart will have a more-or-less one minute delay. this is a expected behavior for the SteadyState. The issue has not been clearly described  in  SteadyState readme file and we will update that file in the days to come.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:48 PM
  • So this one minute delay is expected for every login after every reboot and not just after the first login after installing SteadyState.  The admin login is the one that is delayed and not the "public locked" profile.  I was hoping this issued could be resolved...maybe something could be "tweaked" in the next update so that it doesn't take as long to load.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:08 PM
  • This is known issue of Windows SteadyState. We have reported that to the product team.

We will let me you know the solution as soon as possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:23 AM
  • So, you can stop WSS from starting "If I stop the Windows SteadyState Service from auto starting, using msconfig"???

Please tell me how.

Maybe I can get into my computer. (See other threads)

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:19 PM
  • The Windows SteadyState Service (sctsvc.exe) is a critical component of SteadyState.  See this thread for details.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:07 PM