none
DPM on a hyper-v with replication RRS feed

• General discussion

• So the guys and i were discussing is it possible to make a DPM box on a 2012 hyper-v and then have a replica setup? Could that be a solution for an offsite backup of your dpm box and not need to make a secondary DPM?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hey,

If I'm wrong correct me: I assume that you want to have a virtual DPM server and then replicate that DPM VM to a replica?

If that is the case than theoratically this is possible but...

Replica in Windows Server 2012 will only replicate vhd(x) drives to the hyper-v replica server.

Since the storage pool of DPM is not a vhd(x) (I know it's possible but not supported) that means that your storage pool should also be "replicated" or transfered to the replica server.  So in the end, you will not really gain efficiency I think.

Let me know

Cheers,

Mike

Veeam

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:51 AM
  • You assumed correct.

That was one of my questions about this. Can you make a virtual DPM box use a vhdx for its storage pool.

The big advantage here would be that you wouldn't have a primary and secondary DPM server. You would just have 1 server it 2 places. 

I am assuming the replication would be about as efficient as it gets. 

I would love to eliminate this primary secondary DPM business as i am having issues with it currently with a 14TB deduped volume. I have another post on that but that is a different issue.  

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Hi JustusIV,

I have not tried yet :) but I think it should work.

However you will not be supported by Microsoft because DPM storage pool disks cannot be .VHD – they must be either iSCSI attached disks or pass thru disks.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013 1:52 PM
  • As Stephane below said: It will work but it is not supported.

But it might be working (and supported) like this:

use a Virtual HBA with server 2012 and let the storage pool be that disk.

Replicate only the OS and Program Files vhd's from the primary server.  In case of an issue, you can attach the virtual hba back to the primary server.  The only thing you will need to keep into consideration is the fact that you probably will need to replicate the virtual fiber channel disk also on SAN level (or similar...)

Just thinking out loud here ;-)

Mike

#1 Hyper-V Backup – award-winning solution from Veeam Download free

Monday, March 25, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Nice idea Mike :)

It's worth a try (In SandBox of course... Nether try to do such a bad thing in production environment)

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Doesn't that kind of defeat the propose. I am looking to delicate the data for protection. 

Seems like a primary and secondary DPM setup is kind of rough as its what i have now and is having issues.

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hey JustusIV,

Yes it does defeat the propose.  I was kind of looking for a solution to your question but it is indeed a bit of a trick and probably not good for your production.

What are the problems that you are having with your primary / secondary?  I have used this with many customers (even large ones with +30 TB of backup data) and it worked very well...

I really think that you need to investigate those problems and from the moment it works good you will see the advantages of that system.  I personally love the switch-over capabilities in case of disaster and the recover from the secondary

Cheers

Mike

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:04 AM
  • I have a thread going about it over here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/8c7698a1-64f2-4002-b86c-f256644be377

My file server has about 14TB of data deduped down to 4TB the primary is working fine however the secondary just grinds and grinds on synchronization.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Already responded to that one ;-)

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:32 PM