none
WBS issues in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently upgraded from MS Project 2007 to 2010 SP1.  When I bring in a file created in 2007, the WBS numbering does not work properly and seems to have a mind of its own.  As I indent and outdent tasks, there is no change in the WBS number that project 2010 mysteriously assigned to that task.  Any thoughts?
    Keith Loewen
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• Thanks John,

When I got converted, Project 2007 was removed from my desktop, so continuing to use it for older files is not an option.  I have Project 2010 (14.0.6023.1000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6023.1000).  Do you know if that includes the latest cumulative updates, or how I could find out?

WBS was not working, but Outline was.  I deleted the WBS entries where there were descrepancies between WBS and Outline and the WBS entry got rewritten with the correct Outline entry, so I seem to be good-to-go (for now, at least).

Keith Loewen
    • Marked as answer by Keith Loewen Friday, November 18, 2011 9:10 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• But it works fine for projects created directly in 2010?

Are fields like Outline Number and outline level updating properly?

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:45 PM
  • I played around with a new Project 2010 file, and that seemed to work OK.  I also added new tasks to the file that was originally a 2007 file and that seemed to work OK.  The problem seems to be with moving tasks that previously existed in the 2007 file.

Outline Number and Outline level seem to be working OK when moving tasks that previously existed in the 2007 file.

Keith Loewen
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Keith,

There have been various issues between Project 2010 and earlier versions of files. The bottom line seems to be, keep your files in one version and leave them there. If you do have to convert, do it once and then leave it in the new version.

You mentioned that you have SP1 installed for Project 2010. Do you also have cumulative updates? And, I don't know if this will make a difference but do you have SP3 and cumulative updates installed for Project 2007. If not, you could try that and see if the file up-converts without WBS issues.

I assume you are also aware that WBS is a dual input field. It will be populated by Project but can be overwritten by the user. If everything else appears to be okay, you could simply over-write the errant WBS structure with the correct one.

John

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Thanks John,

When I got converted, Project 2007 was removed from my desktop, so continuing to use it for older files is not an option.  I have Project 2010 (14.0.6023.1000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6023.1000).  Do you know if that includes the latest cumulative updates, or how I could find out?

WBS was not working, but Outline was.  I deleted the WBS entries where there were descrepancies between WBS and Outline and the WBS entry got rewritten with the correct Outline entry, so I seem to be good-to-go (for now, at least).

Keith Loewen
    • Marked as answer by Keith Loewen Friday, November 18, 2011 9:10 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Keith,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

I know the SP1 designation is shown when you look at look at the version information but I don't know if there is some queue for insuring cumulative updates are installed. One way to be sure is to download the latest cumulative update (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587) and attempt to install it. The installer will tell you if it's already installed.

Meanwhile, it sounds like your immediate issue is resolved. If so, please close this post so it doesn't hang around.

John

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I'm new to this forum.  How do I "close this post"?
    Keith Loewen
    Friday, November 18, 2011 8:31 PM
  • If you were given an answer that helped resolve your question you can click the "Mark as Answer" link. In this case it might be your own post.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Friday, November 18, 2011 8:37 PM