none
GPO processing order for an OU

Question

• We have 40 different GPO linked to an OU say 'Marketing.' Among them 5 GPO are enforced. We have applied 7 WMI Filter on this OU. Among them 1 WMI filter is enforced. All the WMI filter is tested and working fine. but sometimes one WMI filters fails to apply randomly on some computer. When this WMI fail to apply the remaining GPO is stop for processing. The KB article says When the WMI service is on and an unknown error occurs for which the Group Policy feature does not have an error code and for which it does not monitor, all Group Policy processing stops (fails). My question is:

1) I can see the order of 40 GPO in my Marketing GPO in Link Group Policy Object tab.  I want to know in which order the GPO is applied to this OU. Are they applied in reverse numerical order, so 2 will apply and then 1 will overwrite it? in that case I can put the WMI filter in Order 1 so that it will applied last. I don't want failure to apply this GPO will stop processing the reaming GPO.

2) Is there any command  to know for a particular client pc and for a particular user in which order the GPO is applied?

• Edited by Alvi932 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:40 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi they are applied in reverse order. 40 -1 in your case My think the only way to check the processing order on the client is via the registry
    • Marked as answer by Alvi932 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:41 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi they are applied in reverse order. 40 -1 in your case My think the only way to check the processing order on the client is via the registry
    • Marked as answer by Alvi932 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:41 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:52 AM
  • > GPO are enforced. We have applied 7 WMI Filter on this GPO. Among them 1
    > WMI filter is enforced.

Hm - you cannot link more than one WMI filter to a GPO, and you cannot
    "enforce" WMI filters. So I somehow fail to understand your scenario...

> 1) I can see the order of 40 GPO in my Marketing GPO in Link Group
    > Policy Object tab.  I want to know in which order the GPO is applied to
    > this OU. Are they applied in reverse numerical order, so 2 will apply
    > and then 1 will overwrite it?

Yes.

> 2) Is there any command  to know for a particular client pc and for a
    > particular user*in which order *the GPO is applied?

GP Results or GP Modeling will tell you. Both found in GPMC.MSC.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    • Proposed as answer by Devaraj G Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:58 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:15 AM
  • Hi Alvi932,

If multiple GPOs are linked to the same container and have settings in common, there must be a mechanism for reconciling the settings. This behavior is controlled by the link order. The lower the link order number, the higher the precedence. Information about the links for a given container are shown on the Linked Group Policy Objects tab of a given container, the link order 1 has the highest precedence.

As your second question, I you check it according to Martin's suggestion.

Hereby I provide you a related to the group policy precedence, you can check it for more information:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/musings_of_a_technical_tam/archive/2012/02/15/understanding-the-structure-of-a-group-policy-object-part-2.aspx

Hope it helps.

Best Regars,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 3, 2015 8:36 AM