User profiles , WINSXS , Temp Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

1)If i delete user profile of particular person will the data saved by him will be lost ? will he able to login after i delete his profile?

2)WINSXS Folder: If i delete old patching , updates files in WINSXS folder will that effect my system when it boots next time after deletion.

3)If i delete files under temp folder(c:\windows\temp) which that affect system to behave abnormally?

Thanks in advance!!

Paramesh KA

Sunday, December 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Answers

• 1.a. Depends, if saved within profile then yes it is lost

1.b. yes, new profile gets created from \default user

2. Its not recommended to delete any files from winsxs. Results would be unpredictable

3. Yes you can clean out the %temp% directory. Files still in use would be locked.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, December 27, 2015 2:16 PM
  • if i login using user "x" and save some documents in desktop will it be saved under user x profile only.

yes saving to desktop is within user's profile

%userprofile%\desktop = your own desktop

If another user "y" login to same computer , will he be able to see documents saved by user X in desktop.

If "y" is a local admin then yes but would have to navigate to user "x" desktop

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by paramesh123 Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:02 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Straight answer already shared by Dave. Also, take a look at these articles, they should be helpful for you to get a better understanding of these terms:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775560%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 28, 2015 8:03 AM

All replies

• 1.a. Depends, if saved within profile then yes it is lost

1.b. yes, new profile gets created from \default user

2. Its not recommended to delete any files from winsxs. Results would be unpredictable

3. Yes you can clean out the %temp% directory. Files still in use would be locked.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, December 27, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hello Patrick,

Thanks for the answer!!

what does "if saved within profiles" mean , generally if i login using user "x" and save some documents in desktop will it be saved under user x profile only.

If another user "y" login to same computer , will he be able to see documents saved by user X in desktop.

Please confirm!!

Paramesh KA

• Edited by paramesh123 Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:22 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:22 PM
  • if i login using user "x" and save some documents in desktop will it be saved under user x profile only.

yes saving to desktop is within user's profile

%userprofile%\desktop = your own desktop

If "y" is a local admin then yes but would have to navigate to user "x" desktop

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Marked as answer by paramesh123 Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:02 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Straight answer already shared by Dave. Also, take a look at these articles, they should be helpful for you to get a better understanding of these terms:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775560%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 28, 2015 8:03 AM