Microsoft Windows Server Management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have 2 windows 2003 64bit servers one as the RMS and one as database server. I have installed SCOM 2007 R2 after using the previous version, of which I found trying at times. So I have installed the server base OS MP 6.0.6794.0 and start by configuring the Logical disk free space overrides for my environment.

The Settings I use in the overrides are Error % Threshold for Non-system drives 10% and Error MBytes threshold for Non-system Drives 10000. I then save this override in its own management pack called "Windows Server logical disk override config"

Happy with the config I then proceed to install the agents on about 60 servers. I configure notifications to send emails this works and email notifications are received.

I then get an email from one of our system admins about one of the servers running out of disk space I check the server and sure enough the drive is D: "non-system" and the total size is 150GB free space is 1.8 GB. Strange this should have alerted and sent a notification based on what I had configured above I understand that both monitor thresholds need to be reached before an alert is sent.

The notification has the following in the txt:

Alert: Logical Disk Free Space is low

Source: D:

Path: YRKEPOSCENT

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 03/09/2010 23:22:18

Alert description: The disk D: on computer YRKEPOSCENT is running out of disk space. The values that exceeded the threshold are 1% free space and 1943 free Mbytes.

These don’t seem to be applying my overrides how can I resolve this issue has anyone come across this. as of writing this i ahve set the enforced option within each override. 

Sunday, September 5, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• How was the override applied? was it applied to specific instance or a group or a class? Sorry, I dont have a console in front of me to give you the exact names that they could be.

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG)
    Monday, September 6, 2010 4:49 AM
  • Don't use enforced as a method of testing.... Enforced is for override conflict resolution.  It shouldnt be used except in very specific scenarios.

There is a free disk space monitor for every OS version.  Are you sure the one you are looking at is the same version?  Did you set overrides on all 3 OS versions (2000, 2003, and 2008)?

Look at the state change history for the instance.  Did the monitor ever change state?  What state is the monitor in now?

It does meet the criteria - so something is amiss.  You can use the Effective Configuration Viewer to ensure your overrides are applied correctly.

Lastly - it is best not to create an override MP for each overlide or monitor.  Best to create an override MP for all the best OS overrides, or all the Base OS overrides by OS version.  (2000, 2003, 2008, etc...)

Friday, September 10, 2010 11:06 PM
  • sorry for the late reply

The forced option appears to work, if not the correct way.  I applied the override to the class is this wrong?  definately made sure that i was looking at the correct override for the correct OS.

So are you saying I should have create a specific Override for each OS version.

logical disk override 2000

logical disk override 2003

logical disk override 2008

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:27 AM
  • one other thing that i have noticed not sure if anyone has seen this but the name of the disks are displaying as: 

Name:\\?\Volume{7c65b19e-a082-11df-a94e-806e6f6e6963}

Path: YRKSQL05.icec.local\\\?\Volume{7c65b19e-a082-11df-a94e-806e6f6e6963}

isn't this the value which is held in the registry how can i alter this? it seems to be only the windows 2008 r2 systems?  sorry for the disjointed posts.

thanks

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:30 AM
  • when you look in the diskmanager you probably see a partition like "harddiskvolume1". that's the partition above...

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Monday, September 27, 2010 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:06 PM