Sidebar.exe will not launch: Windows cannot find ". RRS feed

• Question

• Freaky. I know. Brief system specifications: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (fully patched), i7-720QM, 6GB RAM, ATI 4670, Samsung 256GB SSD, Intel PM55 chipset, A11 BIOS. It's a Dell Studio XPS 16.

When I right-click the desktop and click "Gadgets," it returns me this obtuse message (the links are screenshots):
    Windows cannot find ". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

If I directly click the EXE in Program Files (x86), I get this surprising error:
    Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Likewise, the EXE in Program Files:
    Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I don't know what could have caused this at all. I had a Dell technician control my computer yesterday; I wasn't terribly attentive. I particularly remember he deleted the contents of the Temp folder.

What I have tried:

• Ran sfc /scannow. First time found lots "integrity violations" related to the Sidebar (after a glance at CBS.log). Problem still exists.
    • I was told that you need to run sfc /scannow multiple times. I ran in once more; problem still exists. I restarted between all attempts.
    •  Ran Regsvr32 on sbdrop.dll, wlsrvc.dll, and atl.dll. Problem still exists.
    •  I disabled/re-enabled "Windows Gadget Platform." Problem still exists, even after two attempts.
    • I had UAC disabled (but my gadgets still worked). I re-enabled UAC; problem still exists.
    • I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (patched/updated) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (patched/updated): no infections found.

Any ideas what could be causing this confusing problem?

Thanks,

~Ibrahim~

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks for the post!

Open your Task Manager, could you find the sidebar.exe in the Processes tab? If you can find it, please End this Process.

Then click the Start, copy and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar in your search box. Open this folder, from here you can see a file named Settings, it includes the current settings of your sidebar. Backup this file to another location in case of some risks. Then rename the original file.

Then restart the sidebar from your start menu, you'll see a new file named Settings is created. Now check if the sidebar works.

Also this for your reference: How do I restore Windows Sidebar http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963010

If it fails again, we need to modify the registry. Please backup the registry before the modification.

Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter to open the Registry Editor.

Delete the registry located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

Then restart the Sidebar.

If all the above doesn't work, since you mentioned you got many error when doing system file check (SFC), please upload the CBS log, it's located in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.txt, put it in a public folder and reply a folder link here, I'll check it later. You can use the SkyDrive to upload it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:48 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:01 AM

All replies

• Ran sfc /scannow. First time found lots "integrity violations" related to the Sidebar (after a glance at CBS.log). Problem still exists.

Could you post here the relevant parts of CBS.log?

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://www.wintecnico.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks for the post!

Open your Task Manager, could you find the sidebar.exe in the Processes tab? If you can find it, please End this Process.

Then click the Start, copy and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar in your search box. Open this folder, from here you can see a file named Settings, it includes the current settings of your sidebar. Backup this file to another location in case of some risks. Then rename the original file.

Then restart the sidebar from your start menu, you'll see a new file named Settings is created. Now check if the sidebar works.

Also this for your reference: How do I restore Windows Sidebar http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963010

If it fails again, we need to modify the registry. Please backup the registry before the modification.

Click Start, input regedit in the search box, press Enter to open the Registry Editor.

Delete the registry located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

Then restart the Sidebar.

If all the above doesn't work, since you mentioned you got many error when doing system file check (SFC), please upload the CBS log, it's located in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.txt, put it in a public folder and reply a folder link here, I'll check it later. You can use the SkyDrive to upload it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:48 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:01 AM