Icon Cache Re-visited RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been looking around a bit to see what initiatives others are taking regarding the User Icon Cache for App-V, but have only found one or two pieces around housekeeping, from a few years ago.

My client is using App-V 4.5 (XP + 2003TS) and is undergoing a project to reduce user (roaming) profile size; one of the areas which has reared itself is the Softgrid Client area of AppData.

A seperate stream to optimize what data goes into the user pkg (vs application pkg) files can be undertaken to reduce that content, what I'm interested in discussing with fellow App-V'ers is what people have in place for icon cache cleanup.

I remember reading Zarbie's blog, in which he noted that with the 400 applications he had published, his user icon cache was only ~14mb; my own Icon Cache is 468mb (9550 icons) with less than 250 applications published (SoftGrid client folder = 860mb!).

I have found myself that by simply clearing out the Icon Cache by manual or automated (janitor) means, breaks application icons and fta icons completely, even after a full publishing refresh... Most if not all icons either appear as the App-V orange cube, or the generic unknown filetype icon.

If you have an automated routine in place to clean out or optimize your App-V Icon Cache, I'd be interested in hearing what you are doing and what side-effects you have encountered along the way.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• I have usually excluded the %AppData%\SoftGrid Client\Icon Cache folder from roaming and haven't found too many issues with icons not refreshing.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:35 PM
  • And you haven't seen any issues if people roam and need to have their Icon Cache rebuilt?

Friday, November 26, 2010 3:10 PM