Windows 7 startup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Dear reader,
    A few weeks ago I ordered the windows 7 proffessional upgrade kit for students with having a valid version of windows vista home premium.
    In windows vista I chose the setup option custom and installed it to partition "K" while windows vista was on partition "C".
    Everything worked out fine and windows 7 works without a problem, untill I removed the windows 7 DVD from my DVD player.

When I'm rebooting without the DVD in it, it reboots to windows vista and giving me a message that the installation failed.
    When Im rebooting WITH the DVD inside my computer then windows 7 starts without an option to pick windows vista...

I'm always working with windows 7 now and booting with dvd but this just doesnt seem right...
    I hope anyone has a solution for my problem.

P.S. When I open msconfig in windows 7 it says, default OS is windows 7 and vista is not listed. when I open msconfig in vista it says vista is the default  OS and windows 7 is not listed.

Thanks in advance,
    Robbin
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Nibbor,

It seems that your boot environment is damaged and needs repair.

Please read the following article about
    "How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:29 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    Sadly I lost my vista disk, searched everywhere lol.
    But I tried it with the windows 7 disk and then it fixes the problem that when I start with the DVD I get both windows 7 and vista as boot options.
    So as soon as I get the vista disk from a friend of mine it will probably work as well with booting without a w7 DVD.

Again, thanks for the help!
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Nibbor,

It seems that your boot environment is damaged and needs repair.

Please read the following article about
    "How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Friday, February 5, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    Sadly I lost my vista disk, searched everywhere lol.
    But I tried it with the windows 7 disk and then it fixes the problem that when I start with the DVD I get both windows 7 and vista as boot options.
    So as soon as I get the vista disk from a friend of mine it will probably work as well with booting without a w7 DVD.

Again, thanks for the help!
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:57 AM
  • in most cases this is BOIS setting go may sure the HDD is the first item to boot from
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:35 PM