Windows XP Service Pack 3 fails to install-unable to copy file wshom.mui RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install Service Pack 3 most PC's ok but on two the install fails, both PC's are upto SP2 and are both NEC desktops running XP Pro and Kaspersky AV. I disable the AV and try the install but I receive an error that reports unable to copy file wshom.ocx.mui, this happens at the same point everytime, I get the option to skip or try again then I am asked to browse to the location of the file wshom.mu. If I look for this file in the windows folder or in the service pack nothing happens. I have tried to install with auto update and from a download of the pack on cd with Anti Virus disabled but still get the same problem how do I resolve this issue and get service pack 3 to install?

Friday, October 15, 2010 12:29 PM

All replies

• 1. Try msconfig and from the general tab select diagnostic start up. Then restart your computer and let it start. Then try to install the SP3.

2. You can also try to start up in safe mode and try to install the SP3. Usually in safe mode the windows installer service doesn't start up, but the SP3 seems to be an executable so it should be fine.

3. Or you can try the selective start up option and start only the minimum services, including the Windows installer.

Good Luck!

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding!
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Thanks for the answer lonewolf just come back to my desk from trying an install with the msconfig, diag startup that failed too, exactly the same place. Its driving me crazy.

Will try a safe mode option on Monday.

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:11 PM
  • You might want to try to install SP3 from a totally different user profile. So just create a new administrative account and use the above mentioned techniques with msconfig, to see if its working. 

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding!
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Thanks mate will give that a try too and report back.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Tried a Safe Mode option late Friday night that failed too in exactly the same place, just got to try the msconfig method again now with a new admin account then i'm out of ideas!!!
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Well surprise surprise!! msconfig with a new admin account failed aswell in the same place will anyone be able to answer this problem??
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:09 PM
  • http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

I think you need to use an application that will show you which files get locked. The link above points to one such application that will allow you to see locked files. Now since you had problems with "wshom.ocx" try to see if you can view the locks in that file or if it is locked by anything... I found it in c:\windows\system32\.

You can search for locked files viewer online to find better tools than one provided by me. Also you can do a comparison with the machines that you had no problem installing SP3 on.

I also think you should try MalwareByte and scan your machine for any other bugs and adware that might have slipped by Karpesky.

If you find your file locked then you have to try and remove the lock on it and then install sp3. This also might cause problems and might render the OS unrecoverable. So it is your choice what to do. If you can, do do a system image, a restore point or something of that kind.

Good Luck!

• Edited by lonewolf79 Monday, October 18, 2010 1:33 PM
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:06 AM Removed unauthorized hyperlink for commercial product
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions lonewolf, you seem to be the only person on here. I will give it a go if I get a result I will let you know.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Also you can try this app:  http://www.brothersoft.com/download-unlocker-208761.html it supposed to unlock files....

I think people don't usually add their input once a topic gets answered.... Or perhaps it need a bit of momentum to build....

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Maybe you should uninstall Karpesky see if it works then, usually the Antivirus gets really close to the kernel, and it might be putting locks on it and other files. Yea, try to get rid of karpersky first. KArpesky should have services starting up with windows, you can try disabling them first before uninstall....

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Thanks again lonewolf, I have tried with Kaspersky disabled and also minimum startup with msconfig which also disabled Kaspersky but neither worked, I may try un-installing the AV I have nothing to lose by trying it.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:59 PM
  • I am fresh out of ideas...

You can try extracting first the sp3 into a folder, then look for that "problem" file to see if it gets extracted too. If the file exists then try to run setup from that extracted folder see where it takes you.

To extract SP3 use winrar and right click on the executable and select extract files. I did extract SP3 and the file is called "wshom.mu_" also the wshom.oc_ is next to it. setup.ex_ is setup .exe.

Or once you have the file extracted you can browse to it when you get the error, or you can skip it and replace it later after presumably you skipped the instalation of it and the sp3 worked well.

If this doesn't work I think we're looking at the problem wrongly. We need a different approach....

Good Luck again....

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Thanks lonewolf, just read the same in another forum will try to unzip the exe and go from there, don't know what happens if i skip the file might be interesting, when i have said no to skipping the file it opens a file browser window to the temp folder where the service pack is and the file wshom is there but it says it cant copy it. strange.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Did you scan you pc with malwarebytes and other spyware removal tools?

see if you can find a file dosnet.inf and see if it has any info about that problem file. also you should try and find out more about this problem file....

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Ok update, unzipped the whole service pack with winrar and installed but still failed at same point, pointed to file in browser window and still no joy. Will try a scan with malwarebytes tomorrow and give it another go. Will also look up the problem file you suggest. Many thanks for your assistance.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Ok further update, scanned PC with malwarebytes, nothing present.

Ran the service pack unzipped locally no change.

Copied the offending file to the desktop from a PC that upgraded with no issues and when the upgrade stalled I browsed to the file in question still with no success.

Tried to find out anything more on the problem file but with no success.

Checked to see if the file was locked - it wasn't.

Is there anyone out there that can help - surely this is not a unique problem???

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I'd go back to basic troubleshooting at this point. Chkdsk, SFC /scannow. Failing that, repair install of Windows is likely in order.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Hi Briwilt thanks for your response as you can see this is one puzzling problem. I have done a repair install on the other PC that has the problem so somehow I don't think thats gonna work. I only have two with the problem and I can't upgrade Microsoft Office to version 2010 which is an operational requirement without Service Pack 3 so its catch 22 really.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I've seen this a few times where the update chokes. I've never found a good solution, and I believe I've reinstalled Windows at that point if I remember correctly.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Keith, I have the exact same problem with an installation of SP3 on my XP. When I tried to install it first, it had about a million dll. and exe. files, that were impossible to copy. I have tried everything to resolve the issue, yet no luck. I'm actually starting to think SP 3 might be a big scam in MIcrosoft's attempts to force people into buying new Windows7. After spending days trying to make it work, I might just go and buy a new pc.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:43 PM
  • A rebuild is not an option for one of the computers, it has a bespoke bit of software on it that is used daily unfortunately they dont have the original software and the company that wrote it no longer exists. I know this sounds like a disaster but remember I inherited all of this.

As I have stated before this service pack has to go on these 2 pc's I have to upgrade Office to version 2010 and upgrade Sage Manufacturing to the latest version both of which require service pack 3.

Has any one else got any ideas please ?????

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:39 AM