WSUS to new 2012 R2 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a WSUS 3.0 server running on a Windows 2008 R2 server with 5 downstream servers with the same configuration.

I have been tasked with upgrading WSUS with the new 2012 version.

I guess I am looking for opinions on how to accomplish this. I believe I can build a 2012 server and install WSUS on it and point it at the SQL database and it should pick update the database and pick up the setting and all would be good with the main WSUS server and the downstream servers?

Then upgrade all the downstream servers.

Or, should I just build a new main server and downstream servers and start off fresh.

Opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi thodff,

I would recommend the following way to set up a new WSUS server:

1. Install WSUS role on server 2012;

2. Make the new WSUS server as a replica downstream server of the old WSUS server; (This is used to cope related setting from the upstream server);

3. Then change the new WSUS server to be autonomous, and do some additional configuration that you need;

4. Modify GPO settings to make WSUS clients point to the new WSUS server;

5. Then set up related Server 2012 downstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by thoff616 Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:46 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi thodff,

I would recommend the following way to set up a new WSUS server:

1. Install WSUS role on server 2012;

2. Make the new WSUS server as a replica downstream server of the old WSUS server; (This is used to cope related setting from the upstream server);

3. Then change the new WSUS server to be autonomous, and do some additional configuration that you need;

4. Modify GPO settings to make WSUS clients point to the new WSUS server;

5. Then set up related Server 2012 downstream WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by thoff616 Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:46 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing and think I will follow your recommendation.

Have a good one,

Tom

Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:46 PM