Integration Services - Unable to install in Linux Mint 17.3 to fix Hardware Acceleration RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Linux Mint 17.3 32-bit virtual machine in hyper-v running Server2012R2 host OS. Since day one, even after updating, I cannot seem to find a fix anywhere after researching for several days for the Hardware Acceleration. Every time I log in, I get the message "Running in Software Rendering mode - Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage." Now, I am a complete newbie to Linux (ween using Windows for many years), and I really would like to get this distro working. I downloaded the Integration Services .iso file from microsoft.com, but I am finding it very difficult to install the script even as a Root User. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:02 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:36 PM

All replies

• If you see "hyperv_fb" when you run "lsmod" you have the Hyper-V framebuffer driver loaded. Even so, there is not further hardware acceleration of the video device on Linux guests in Hyper-V. There is no support for RemoteFX in Linux.

Even so, there should be reasonable performance, but you will not want to have a lot of decorations or other effects.

Thanks for your report, --jrp

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I actually just decided to run the distro in VirtualBox, and everything is running just fine. Must be a compatibility issue with something within Hyper-V itself. 
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Since the 3.19 kernel in Linux Mint 17.3 has a lot of built-in Hyper-V from upstream as well as what we've worked with Ubuntu to include it shouldn't be too far out of date, but you won't get an accelerated video driver other than hyperv_fb in a virtual machine in either case.

The LIS .iso is applicable only to Red Hat, CentOS, and Oracle Linux releases as we work directly with Ubuntu to integrate LIS into their hardware enablement kernels. Debian gets up-to-date LIS from the backports kernel in a similar fashion.

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Are you going to fix that anytime soon? While Ubuntu is not THAT bad, I prefer a proper desktop over something that looks like another Samsung tablet.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 3:18 PM
  • PCI Passthrough/DDA is available in the upstream kernel and Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 16.10 have that support. If you configure the host to pass through the GPU and use the same driver in the guest as you would on bare metal you will be able to use that acceleration. PCI Passthrough for Linux guests is a feature of Windows Server 2016.

Thanks, --jrp

Josh Poulson Program Manager, Linux Integration Services, Enterprise Open Source Group Microsoft

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:50 PM