none
"File History" won't open/start for domain user profile/account

Question

• I'm trying to use the File History feature in Windows 8.1 to create backups.  When I click "File History" from the control panel, nothing happens.  No new window opens, it just stays at the Control Page.

I've tried manually going to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History".

All works fine with local Administrative user profile.

Why does File History not start/open/run for the domain user account that is in the Administrators Group?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my lab machine (Windows Server 2008 R2 DC, Windows 8.1 client). either domain admin user or domain standard user, they all work fine.

What's your environment? Did this issue occur on all domain user or specific one?

In some cases, File History may conflict with the enterprise policies (like retention policy). I suggest you contact your IT admin to see if there is some other policy to limit this.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my lab machine (Windows Server 2008 R2 DC, Windows 8.1 client). either domain admin user or domain standard user, they all work fine.

What's your environment? Did this issue occur on all domain user or specific one?

In some cases, File History may conflict with the enterprise policies (like retention policy). I suggest you contact your IT admin to see if there is some other policy to limit this.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:35 AM
  • Hi all,

to resolve the issue with the domain users, add the domain users to the Group Policy Setting "Back up files and directories" in the location "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment".

You can configure the user rights assignment settings in the following location within the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) under Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment, or on the local computer by using the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:02 AM